Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ha ha ha, why do they do it?
31-Jul-2018, 06:03 AM
RE: Ha ha ha, why do they do it?
Cheers Frank. An update on the neighbors fire he's had forensic in and they say it started on the railway grass banking almost certainly by a glass bottle or cigarette .
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
31-Jul-2018, 03:48 PM
Noel:

For a few years before we were married, I lived with the rest of my family in Hargreaves Avenue. We were in the second semi from the railway, near "Howe's Mound". We had several grass fires on the embankment every summer, but we were at the tail end of the "steam era", so it wasn't unusual. The old locomotives were good at spitting burning coal, particularly at low speed and full throttle climbing the grade going towards Wigan.

I'm not sure I could live there with the noise from the current 200 mph trains running past northbound, even though the track joints are welded. The Stanier Pacifics that had that duty were pretty loud, particularly at night when all else was quiet.

Our American acquaintances have a hard time believing that the old steam expresses were doing 90+mph at night with no headlights and only the buffer-beam oil lamps for identification by other people!

Frank D.
03-Aug-2018, 07:37 AM
an article has just been written in the lancashire (was evening) post celebrating 50 years of the ending of steam trains, Frank. we are by the side of the east lancs line 1/4 mile or so before it joins the main west coast line heading south. we get maybe 5 trains a day all pulling up alongside the back of our house waiting signals to change. Mainly carrying cargo to the cement works at clitheroe and logs down to a factory in wrexham. every day so many logs you wonder what's left to cut down. in summer months we get the occasional steam train on excursions usually from the settle to carlisle trip or vice versa. the trains make little noise and the privacy they extend is well worth it, the grandkids love seeing the trains go past. nearby are the remains of the loco sheds at lostock hall if you remember, by the double bridges in watkin lane. until recently there were bits of the sheds and paraphernalia but now it's all been cleared and only the concrete bases remain, a couple of times groups of travellers have invaded and left their usual rubbish and filth behind, no wonder they are regarded as scum of the earth.

https://www.lep.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgi...-1-9280197
03-Aug-2018, 04:51 PM
Noel:

It's odd that the "Post" has removed the "Evening" from its i/d. The "e" is still in its web-site name. When I tried to access your link, I got hung up on the "enter your password" on the Post's website. I used to be able to read the Post without a problem, but after the introduction of user i/d and password procedure, I no longer can. I've tried to join, but the enrollment site can't handle my US address for some reason. Maybe it's because we have all-numerical address codes. I tried using my sister's Leyland post-code, but it didn't like that either. I need to get a message to the enrollment person to try and sort it out.

Frank D.
03-Aug-2018, 08:09 PM
Hi Frank
You have the same problem as me, I access the sister papper Wigan Post it will let you read 5 issues per month then you have sign in. If you use the lancshire post on the forum it will take you straight to it.
I too live less than 100 yards from the main line here in Wigan, with double glazing in the house windows the trains are hardly heard, like Noel the ones with the most noise are the steamers usually on Saturday mornings in summer

frank h.
03-Aug-2018, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-Aug-2018 09:56 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Frank H:

You are a few miles closer to Wigan than I am to Preston (about 4000 miles for me). I had been reading the Post for several years without a problem, but when they introduced the sign-in system, I lost the ability. I've been bandying e-mail back and forth, but so far have not been able to get back on.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I live so far away and maybe the correlation of Post Code (either my Zip Code being in a different format or my sister's Post Code doesn't correlate with my first names) are an issue. I honestly miss getting that slice of Lancashire with my morning coffee.

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.