Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland Historical Society.
13-Feb-2018, 07:02 PM
RE: Leyland Historical Society.
Did you get down to the meeting Frank? I had family matters to attend to so couldn't make it, I checked with my ex colleague, he knows Tony well and often sees him walking his lurcher dog round by the Cross in Leyland. a bit greyer now, he said. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
13-Feb-2018, 09:34 PM
Hi Noel.

Yes I went along with Tony, It was as Peter Houghton said in his post asking for people to record their histories of all industeries in Leyland & farington at a later date. Peter showed maps and photos of factories from the 1800s to today. The society plan to open a pop up shop on Hough Lane from May 21st until July to promote the project to potential volunteers.

frank h.
13-Feb-2018, 09:55 PM
I did submit a rough map of how the old BTR Golden Hill Factory was set out a couple of years ago Frank, relying also on the memory of a former manager who now lives on Oz. I can vaguely remember the lay-out but Centurion Way and L&B were where I was mainly based. And I'm not sure how useful my input would have been, but I'll keep my eyes out for the pop up shop, I've got a few photos of L&B mixing mills and weighing stages somewhere I could leave there or at the museum in Church Road..
14-Feb-2018, 09:09 PM
Noel,
I'm sure any contribution would be welcome, Peter has some maps and photos manly of the early years and the end of some factories so anything would be of use. You may find more useful information on the website http://www.leylandhistoricalsociety.co.uk or contact Peter Houghton.

frank h.
15-Feb-2018, 10:39 PM
I went through some old photos with Peter a couple of years ago but couldn't really help however I've followed that link and given my work experiences Frank.
16-Feb-2018, 08:39 PM
I remember well working at the old Goldenhill BTR works in the enginers department, long hours, 12-hour shifts in all weathers changing foot valves in the lodge, cleaning Banbury mixer rings, needing a lot of showering at home from very black carbon black mixers ingrained into the skin, not at all enjoyable work but very much needed in the rubber making industry, all during holiday shutdowns when production stopped, changing plattens on the big belt making presses, very hot and dangerous work, cleaning steam accumulators out etc, etc, all part of the necessary work to keep the rubber works going...

djh
17-Feb-2018, 08:53 PM
Dave.

I too remember working for A M Tomlinsons in Goldenhill fitting a new ceiling in the carbon black shop, as you said coverd in black needing plenty of showers. Likewise doing remedial work to the walls of the lodge at shutdown rather muddy!
The first time I went to work on site as an aprentice was to help fit wooden lockers in goldenhills hose shop that would be early summer 1959.

frank h.
18-Feb-2018, 02:46 PM
I think it was a number 9 banbury in the mixing shop, used to wait tiill you walked past then covered you in black as you did. Current day workers have a lot to be thankful for with the advent of COSH amongst other things conducive to safe and healthy workplaces. Emphysema and other chronic lung infections were commonplace even as late as 2010 I worked with a lifelong mixer who contracted it, probably as a result of his work, but proving it is another thing. When I started at L&B one of my main concerns was the safety of the weighers, so many of the small drugs as they were called.. antioxidants, accelerators etc, I converted to wax or EVA encapsulated forms. The larger bulk fillers, whitings, clays etc wasn't possible but they tended to be relatively far less hazardous.
Yesterday, 10:42 AM
True Noel also at Leyland Motors, people who worked on brake linings contracted asbestosis from the dust, there were no dust extractors in the early days, and the foundry at Farrington works was an evil place to work healthwise...

djh
Today, 07:30 AM
Remember the foundry pumping heaven knows what into the atmosphere. All the cars on the Wheelton Lane area ended up losing their polished surface. Metallic dust of some sort? We lived facing mill Street so remember it well.