Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoky - but not the bear
23-Aug-2018, 03:58 PM
Smoky - but not the bear
We've had some bad climate characteristics for the last 3 weeks or so. Forest fires are burning in California, British Columbia and Eastern Washington. One of the California fires is almost 200 square miles.

The winds have been blowing the smoke towards western Washington. Visibility in Anacortes has been around half-a-mile for several days. It's been even worse in downtown Seattle.

This morning initially looked similar when I got up, but I later noticed there were water droplets on some of the bushes, Maybe the smoke has been replaced by fog! Visibility is about the same, but there's a lot less smoky smell. I hope the "improvement" continues! I'd like to see a bit more summer blue skies and sunshine.

Frank D.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Aug-2018, 09:29 PM
RE: Smoky - but not the bear
Hope it clears up soon Frank. The small by comparison fires we had up on the moors are long gone and so is the sun for the moment, been rather damp but still there is a danger of water shortage. Reservoir levels are well down and sections of the canals have been locked to avoid loss of water. We have a small number of Syrian refugees in Preston now 4 families I believe who escaped the horrors of the war. Can't imagine what they must have been through.
15-Nov-2018, 02:31 PM
Plastic rubbish
Fed up of looking at bottles, cans and polystyrene trays floating down or washed ashore in our river, all heading ultimately to the sea.........so yesterday I went fishing with a home-made net on a long pole. The river is the Great Ouse, not much bigger than the Lostock where it passes our house. I rescued all that I could reach and sorted it into our bins, but by next week I'm sure there'll be more rubbish. Looks like being a regular job.....I hope the residents of Milton Keynes, Bedford and King's Lynn appreciate my efforts!
16-Nov-2018, 08:05 PM
Well done John. Doing your bit for the environment, every little helps,. Our local supermarket is making an effort to cut the plastics but it's a tall orderMeantime The fires over in California are the worst on record I believe..it looks like hell on fire looking down on the flames.
17-Nov-2018, 05:34 PM
It's unbelievable isn't it, a great plume of smoke and flame visible from satellite.....and there are hundreds of residents not yet accounted for.
(16-Nov-2018 08:05 PM)noel Wrote:  Well done John. Doing your bit for the environment, every little helps,. Our local supermarket is making an effort to cut the plastics but it's a tall orderMeantime The fires over in California are the worst on record I believe..it looks like hell on fire looking down on the flames.
17-Nov-2018, 08:48 PM
It's truly awful John I've been reading some of the reports from those who escaped in their cars through a tunnel of flames. My nephew lives in California but fortunately the South West and not the North East God help them all if there is a god.
25-Nov-2018, 12:46 PM
How's the diet going Noel? Good results?

I find it harder at this time of year when you need something to stick to your ribs, but I manage to keep up the regime most of the time. Fish or chicken caesar salad for one meal a day, just about anything I fancy for the other.....though it's made me into a label-reader to avoid high fat and sugar things.
Lost 4 kg and the blood glucose level has reduced considerably so it's worthwhile I think.

John
25-Nov-2018, 03:15 PM
It's become a way of life for me John I don't look on it as a diet per se, more a way of living. I never eat fried stuff or red meat. Last time I had a takeaway I simply y cannot rememember. If I do have chips or roast potato they are done in the halogen oven with a dash of oil. So since losing nigh on 4 stone I've maintained my weight within 2 or 3 lbs. Changing the subject how on earth did Trump get elected. The country's leading climate scientists have warned if the country does not take climate change seriously the in a few years time the East of the USA will see fires like those in the west and trump says they're wrong.
25-Nov-2018, 05:04 PM
tRump was elected because he was the lesser of two evils that could be voted for. I doubt that we'll see a female US Prez elected in the next 20 years. I wish there was a primary system for selecting presidential candidates by a well-publicised national vote. We'd never have got stuck with "the Donald" if there had been. It just seemed like he and Hillary had been chosen as candidates by some "unseen person".

If there was a election where those two imbeciles were selected, I certainly don't remember it.

Congratulations on your weight loss, Noel. Over the last two years or so, I've dropped about a stone without a significant diet change. I've no idea how. Since my Boeing days I've gone from 210 lb to 180, mainly from not eating at hotels and restaurants on the never-ending trips. I flew SEA to LHR so often over the 10 years in that job, I got to know a lot of the cabin staff by first names!

In my final year, I was out of the US for 28 weeks and all the trips were 14 days or less. I retired in 1998 (just before my 58th birthday) and haven't regretted it at all.

Frank D.
25-Nov-2018, 07:20 PM
You're about 10 lbs lighter than me Frank. Your lumbered with trump we are lumbered with Theresa may who's taken it on herself to negotiate solely for the UK leaving the European Union. Its a bit like turke9voting for Christmas and it's likely her settlement will be voted out by Parliament. We're in a mess over here.