Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoky - but not the bear
27-Nov-2018, 03:08 PM
RE: Smoky - but not the bear
It's Lancashire Day! I've a red rose lapel badge on and a hotpot in the oven but my partner Trish won't face black pud, tripe or cow heel..........

Is there much clog dancing and merrymaking in Farington today Noel?

John
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
29-Nov-2018, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 29-Nov-2018 12:45 PM by noel.)
Nah not really John, I don't think many realised it was Lancashire Day. But every credit to Trish for refusing to touch that stuff. Parched peas are a nice healthy veggie option We are hoping to go over to the enemy's side this weekend to the Grassington Dickensian Christmas Festival. The residents dress up to savour the spirit good fun weather permitting
29-Nov-2018, 07:22 PM
Never could handle those things Trish refused. Hot pot, steak and onions, rice pudding are still quite common for us, 4000 miles and 60 years away! We had Thanksgiving Day last week. It's a natioalised Harvest Festival. Even the Federal Government closes for the day. Our local bus services and the city services (dustbin men, etc) shut down for both Thursday and Friday

Frank D
30-Nov-2018, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 30-Nov-2018 10:02 PM by jwhi.)
Must admit I've never had tripe either.......I wonder if there's any market for it these days. Probably it needs a Jamie Oliver to promote it or Gwyneth Paltrow to declare it a superfood.
For some reason I thought Thanksgiving was to celebrate the first settlers surviving winter in the New World - wrong time of year now that I think about it!

John
(29-Nov-2018 07:22 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Never could handle those things Trish refused. Hot pot, steak and onions, rice pudding are still quite common for us, 4000 miles and 60 years away! We had Thanksgiving Day last week. It's a natioalised Harvest Festival. Even the Federal Government closes for the day. Our local bus services and the city services (dustbin men, etc) shut down for both Thursday and Friday

Frank D

Do they still sell parched peas on the street in Preston Noel? Few years since I had them.
Went to Grassington Christmas Festival a while ago. I think they make you park on an old military site out of the village and bus you in. It works ok until lots of people want to leave at the same time!

John
(29-Nov-2018 10:38 AM)noel Wrote:  Nah not really John, I don't think many realised it was Lancashire Day. But every credit to Trish for refusing to touch that stuff. Parched peas are a nice healthy veggie option We are hoping to go over to the enemy's side this weekend to the Grassington Dickensian Christmas Festival. The residents dress up to savour the spirit good fun weather permitting
01-Dec-2018, 09:24 PM
(30-Nov-2018 09:55 PM)jwhi Wrote:  Must admit I've never had tripe either.......I wonder if there's any market for it these days. Probably it needs a Jamie Oliver to promote it or Gwyneth Paltrow to declare it a superfood.
For some reason I thought Thanksgiving was to celebrate the first settlers surviving winter in the New World - wrong time of year now that I think about it!

John
(29-Nov-2018 07:22 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Never could handle those things Trish refused. Hot pot, steak and onions, rice pudding are still quite common for us, 4000 miles and 60 years away! We had Thanksgiving Day last week. It's a natioalised Harvest Festival. Even the Federal Government closes for the day. Our local bus services and the city services (dustbin men, etc) shut down for both Thursday and Friday

Frank D

Do they still sell parched peas on the street in Preston Noel? Few years since I had them.
Went to Grassington Christmas Festival a while ago. I think they make you park on an old military site out of the village and bus you in. It works ok until lots of people want to leave at the same time!
[/quote]

The car parks on an old quarry John thick with mud last time we went but the bus service from it was fine. It rained most the day today so it'll have to be next week. Not much fun in the wet. Parched peas and hot small potatoes by the old flag market.
03-Dec-2018, 03:28 PM
Yes that's it Noel - I knew it was an old something-or-other.
Was it packed at weekend?

Have you been to Garstang Dickensian Christmas market (if they still have it)? It's similar to that at Grassington I think.

We're going to a Christmas market at Blenheim Palace next week, big do by the sound of it and includes a good nosey inside the palace.

John
04-Dec-2018, 07:44 PM
The garstang one us 11th and 12th this month John and we're planning to go to that now rather than Grassington. Much nearer and there is very much a case of done it already if we go to Grassington. The dog's been ill so that's put us off being away most the day too.
A neighbour of mine tows his caravan down to blenheim every year. I didn't realise how big it was. I guess Chatsworth is the nearest big posh Christmas Market up here. Enjoy.
04-Dec-2018, 09:14 PM
I am in Kracow for a short break the Christmas market in the town square is one of the finest I have ever seen . Christmas decorations to die for, winter clothing to suit anyone continental food stalls every smell under the sun. The outdoor lighting effects are as good as Blackpool luminations.

Frank h
05-Dec-2018, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-Dec-2018 11:10 AM by noel.)
My son visited kracow earlier this year and said what a lovely place it was. And cheap. Enjoy it Frank. Incidentally 60 years ago today the first motorway opened. The M6 Preston bypass Harold Macmillan opened it and shortly afterwards the M1 was opened.
05-Dec-2018, 05:27 PM
I remember speeding along the Preston bypass in our Ford Thames van - I sat in the back in a loose car seat, facing backwards to watch out for the police! Vans were limited to 50mph I think at that time.
I suppose it could only have been a couple of years later when they built the M6 to connect to the bypass, I was at Balshaw's at the time, as you must have been Noel.
The area where I live now is going to see HS2, the Oxford-Cambridge rail line and a road upgrade to M'way standard also Oxford-Cambs, mostly 4-5 miles from us fortunately. Feel sorry for the people in the villages in the line of fire though........

John