Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Preston Railway Station
25-Feb-2019, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 25-Feb-2019 02:36 PM by Martin.)
Preston Railway Station
I was up in #Preston for a couple of days and took some pictures while I was there.

I think Preston station is one of the more grander stations that I've seen.

[Image: preston-railway-station.jpg]

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
25-Feb-2019, 08:51 PM
RE: Preston Railway Station
I must admit I haven't been on Preston station in some years but it looks clean and bright and rather grand.

frank h.
Find all posts by this user
26-Feb-2019, 04:40 PM
What a difference not having steam locomotives any more has made. I used to take a train in each direction every college-term weekday between Leyland and Blackpool while I was doing my OND-Mech. Eng. at Blcakpool Tech.(2 years).

Preston Station, at that time, was a soot-covered disaster. I think a lot of the crud was from locomotives maneuvering from one train to another, as they often used to go for coaling somewhere close by and another loco moved in to take the train on to its destination.

Congrats to who ever decided to do the restoration and to the tradesmen that accomplished it.

Frank D.
26-Feb-2019, 09:23 PM
None other than the colourful Michael Portillo praised the station on his recent trip around Lancashire. And I must admit it looked magnificent on TV.
27-Feb-2019, 08:44 PM
Didn't Michael Portillo call in at Leyland on one of his trips.

frank h.
01-Mar-2019, 02:25 PM
(27-Feb-2019 08:44 PM)frank h Wrote:  Didn't Michael Portillo call in at Leyland on one of his trips.

frank h.

He did Frank but didn't actually visit any Leyland sites, could easily have covered the transport museum, he instead went to Tarleton WI I think it was
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post
01-Mar-2019, 05:59 PM
(01-Mar-2019 02:25 PM)noel Wrote:  
(27-Feb-2019 08:44 PM)frank h Wrote:  Didn't Michael Portillo call in at Leyland on one of his trips.

frank h.

He did Frank but didn't actually visit any Leyland sites, could easily have covered the transport museum, he instead went to Tarleton WI I think it was

That was in the latest series(think it was Hawick WI) but in Series 5, about 3 years ago, he drove a 100 year old commercial vehicle in Worden Park.
01-Mar-2019, 07:07 PM
I would assume that old truck was from the Leyland Motors Museum, so he must have visited, unless the museum brought it to Worden Park for him to drive it.

Frank D.

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
02-Mar-2019, 11:03 AM
He did visit in an earlier series I remember him driving in worden Park, was it really 3 years ago? How time flies. Leyland station's had a revamp last year and not before time. It still looks dated compared to Buckshaws on the old ROF site though
02-Mar-2019, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-Mar-2019 04:49 PM by anacortesdamp.)
That's a bit confusing, Noel.

A piece in the on-line Leyland Guardian a few days back said it was one of four stations "being considered for re-opening". I think the others were Chorley, Coppull and Midge Hall. If Leyland is still operational, why would it be listed for possible re-opening? Maybe it's a typical LG screw-up and they meant "re-model".

Frank D.