Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
07-Jun-2002, 05:32 AM

Maybe Brian has gone on one of those charter flights to sunny climes.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Jun-2002, 10:59 AM

Hello Noel and Lady G.
Apologies for the delayed response but I have been on holiday.
I still do not remember Noel at school but I am flattered that he remembers me.
I remember pop Brown, the P.E. and games teacher. He was quite a gruff character and it was rumoured that he was in the SAS.
I have happy memories of school rugby which he organised.
I also remember Mr. Bull, Mr. Hilditch, Mr. Wilson, Mr. Black, Miss Milroy, Ginger Smith, Mr Downer.
I also attended Fox Lane Junior School when the head teacher was Mr Fenton. Mr Hewitson was one of the teachers who also organised the schol football team.
07-Jun-2002, 11:05 AM

quote:

Well at last someone that I remember from way back.Mr Brown was in his first year teaching I think when he took me for history.

I remember most of those names LG. Miss Probert wasn't there butthere was a Mrs Pickersgill who took the girls for PE. Joe Leathley ( we called him Joe Egg for some odd reason) Fat Stan Black the chain-smoking music teacher. Wilkie helped me a lot with maths I went from A greade down to C I was doing so badly, eventually I passed A level with a high mark . He used to do amateur photography as well. I'll say no more about that. Oh and there was a teacher who had to walk assisted by crutches , a lady teacher took maths can't remember her name.
08-Jun-2002, 02:48 AM

Am I right in thinking that Miss Probert became Mrs. Pickersgill ? Mr Brown once told me that he was an ex Commando instructor. Miss Bromley taught French as well as Miss Milroy. I've just come back from the French island of St. Martin, I was amazed how much French I could remember.
I also went to Fox Lane and remember ratty Rawlinson, Mrs. Gaskell and Miss Wane. I also played for the football team under Mr Hewitson, we won the championship that year,[1954 I think], I still have the medal.
Rocketmanjohn
08-Jun-2002, 09:33 AM

quote:

Am I right in thinking that Miss Probert became Mrs. Pickersgill ? Mr Brown once told me that he was an ex Commando instructor. Miss Bromley taught French as well as Miss Milroy. Rocketmanjohn

I'm not surprised about pop Brown he always struck me as a hard nut. Remember one day somebody had forgotten their pumps, Clive Britton, for PE. Brown made him suspend himself from the top wall bars while he (pop Brown) threw medicine balls at him you remember the weight of those things!!
Miss Bromley once told me off for doing my homework on a sunday. Turnes out she was some sort of religious lay-preacher .
08-Jun-2002, 09:42 AM

You all appear to have very good memories! I too went to Fox Lane and Balshaws, although I must add that this was in the late 60's and the 70's. I left Balshaws in 1977, some of the names you mention I have never heard of but Mrs Pickersgill and Stan Black I do remember. Miss Wane is the only name I recognise from Fox Lane though. I visited Balshaws a few years ago and although a lot of the build has changed it still prompted many memories.
08-Jun-2002, 09:50 PM

quote:

You all appear to have very good memories! I too went to Fox Lane and Balshaws, although I must add that this was in the late 60's and the 70's. I left Balshaws in 1977, some of the names you mention I have never heard of but Mrs Pickersgill and Stan Black I do remember. Miss Wane is the only name I recognise from Fox Lane though. I visited Balshaws a few years ago and although a lot of the build has changed it still prompted many memories.

My long term memory is very good but ask me where I left my car keys/car/wife I've had it. Keith Smith ? had just started as I went into 6th form, ginger headed games teacher he retired only a couple of years ago I believe. Other younger ones Miss Leach taught chemistry, Mr Barnes biology Wilcocks taught French and Maths , Rigby Physics. I never visited the old school again, the day I left was my last day there.
14-Jun-2002, 06:27 AM

Eheu! Eheu! Postume Postume labuntur anni.In other words Time flies.
With apologies to Horace. Am I the only one who can get back to before the war!
A frightening thought.Maybe I'm the only wrinkly with a computer in the register.Sorry you call us Silver Surfers don't you.
Ginner Smith aka Keith was in the class above me at school.Even danced with him once at one of those House parties.Remember them.He was described as a red headed bundle of enery when he played for Preston Grasshoppers.
Patsy May Leach was in my class and we played tennis together along with Julia Walmsley whose father had a shop I think near the cinema in Leyland sold sweets and tobacco from memory.
I remember Miss Brom and Miss Milroy.Miss Rahill was the senior mistress and didn't let me be a prefect cos I was too quiet.Never recovered from that rejection and left soon after.
Also haven't been back since.
Got into trouble all the time.One science master wouldn't mark my exam paper cos I wrote in sea-green ink.It was such a pretty colour too.I think it was Quink Ink.So my Dad was furious cos I got no marks on my report.Furious with me that is.
Oh well.
14-Jun-2002, 06:21 PM

Interesting to see that you knew Keith Smith and Pat Leach while they were still pupils. Pat was a new teacher and a bit timid at first. Miss Rahill was there also . Keith Smith I think played for Lancashire as well, took the place kicks.
Remember the toffee shop well , just by the roundabout that's there now , used to be a treat every Sunday going fot some black and white mints. My didn't I live dangerously.

The significant owl hoots in the night.
14-Jun-2002, 08:46 PM

I remember Mr Smith too, his wife taught needle work and Home ecc, etc.Their children went to Balshaws too, a nice family.