Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
13-Sep-2012, 11:27 AM

Could anyone give a brief description of Graham Jackson please? There was a slim redheaded prefect at Balshaws circa 1960-62 who became the organist at St James' church in Lostock Hall where I was in the choir but I can never remember his name.

George
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
13-Sep-2012, 03:40 PM

Does anyone know the whereabouts of any of the following, who I lost contact with over the years:

Kenneth Harrison, left after his O-Levels in 1959 and went to work at CERN in Geneva?

Jeffrey Gray - left after A-Levels in 1962, he was from Coppull. Presumably he has retired now but was a Head Teacher in Chorley for many years.
He and I played many a game of tennis.

Barry Kirby - left in the mid 50's when his family moved to Fleetwood. Last heard of flying Charles and Diana by helicopter. Now Commander Barry Kirby and possible retired in Cornwall.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-Sep-2012, 03:49 PM

Graham Jackson I knew had dark hair.
15-Sep-2014, 05:47 AM
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
Hi Everyone
I attended Balshaw's from 1962/3 to 1966 and was in the same class as Stan Turbett's sister Ann. Does anyone remember me?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

16-Sep-2014, 01:20 PM
Hello Rosalind, welcome to the forum.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-Sep-2014, 02:12 PM
The Graham Jackson I know is the accompanist for the Cecilian Choral Society and is an eminent musician in the area. As for hair, he hasn't got much left really and it is white!
17-Sep-2014, 05:17 PM
(15-Sep-2014 05:47 AM)Rosalind Wrote:  Hi Everyone
I attended Balshaw's from 1962/3 to 1966 and was in the same class as Stan Turbett's sister Ann. Does anyone remember me?

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same year as Stan. I am afraid I don't remember many of the pupils in a lower year, the joys of getting old.
19-Jan-2015, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 19-Jan-2015 08:14 PM by noel.)
Sad to see the death reported in LEP of one of my pals from Balshaw's, Neil Roocroft. His funeral is next week. I'd lost touch when we left school and had tried to find him to say hello. Too late now. His brother Roger is the father of the acclaimed opera singer Amanda Roocroft.
20-Jan-2015, 04:19 PM
I remember the Roocroft family's butcher's shop at the top of School Lane at Golden Hill. Amanda's mother, Valerie Metcalf, was in my classes from 2nd to Lower 6th.

Frank
21-Jan-2015, 01:43 PM
Was that their shop Frank? I'd got it into my head they came from coppul. Val and roger now live in coppul, think she was head girl in her last year? Very musical I recall. Roger must have been in the year ahead of yours.