Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
21-Jan-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
Noel:

The Metcalf family lived in Coppull during our school years, but I'm pretty sure Roger's father and grandfather were both at that shop. Yes, Valerie was very musical - a concert-grade pianist, even while still at BGS. I think Roger might have been in the same year. Valerie and I were in the "B"stream and Roger in the "A" stream.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
28-Aug-2015, 10:54 AM
Balshaw's Grammar School.
Hello everyone.
My name is Dorothy Kazer, and I was a pupil at St John's Infant School, Earnshaw Bridge, Woodlea School (although it was called the Junior School when I attended there,) and Balshaws Grammar School. I left there in 1959 and became a librarian. For some years I was at Leyland library, although my last post was at Lostock Hall library, and now I am a volunteer at the South Ribble Museum in Church Rd (next to the Eagle and Child.)
I am very interested in local history and was fascinated to read of your memories.
I saw the Forum when I was searching and as I am a Leylander born and bred as they say I was very interested.
I would love to have news of my old classmates: we were in 4b in 1959.
28-Aug-2015, 01:51 PM
Hi Dorothy, welcome to the forum.
28-Aug-2015, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, Dorothy. I was a couple of years ahead of you, leaving from the second term of Lower 6th in April 1958. My wife, Eileen (Nixon back then) did her O-levels in 1959. She was in the C-stream.

Depending on where in Leyland you lived, you might remember our family businesses - George Damp & Sons ironmongers on Towngate and petrol station at Canberra Road and Turpin Green. My wife's parents had a green-grocery at 90 Hough Lane.

We moved away from Leyland in 1965 and emigrated to the USA in 1968.

Frank Damp
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
29-Aug-2015, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 29-Aug-2015 01:58 PM by noel.)
Welcome to the forum Dorothy. You must be on the photo I have from 1959? I think it was. I was in 3A in 59 a year below you. Still live locally though I spent 10 years in Wiltshire before bemoaning the lack of butter pies and mushy peas. I don't know if Ron Christopher still helps at the museum, he was a couple of years ago. An ex works colleague of mine at L&B.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post
29-Aug-2015, 09:20 PM
Thank you very much. Yes I am on the photo of 1959.
As I said I am interested in local history, and have been researching the history of St James Church and School. One of the headmasters there was Levi Jackson, whose son, known as Pa Jackson, became headmaster of Balshaws when it was at Golden Hill, before the present building in Church Rd was built.
I have many memories of Balshaws, and when I worked in the library at Leyland many ex-pupils used to come in. I also worked at Penwortham, and one day a Mrs Ife came in; you will remember her as Miss Probert: gymn and games teacher. Mr Bull used to come into the library at Leyland when the library was on Towngate.
29-Aug-2015, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-Aug-2015 10:43 PM by anacortesdamp.)
I also have many memories of Balshaw's, Dorothy, but few of them are good ones. I was totally disinterested in sports and gym, particularly the (boys only), after-school cross country. Mr. Black was my biggest enemy, since he was in charge of that purgatorial mess.

My Dad was a pupil at the Golden Hill Balshaw's for a couple of years before some kind of nervous breakdown resulted in him leaving school at 14 and gong into the family business. The only teacher I actually liked was Mr. Speakman. I was in final year when the first younger staff, who had been Balshaw's pupils, showed up.

Back in my time there, I found the school to be heavily "classical" with virtually no relevance to the post-war world. An engineer was the person who changed the oil in your car! Wanting to be one was a complete mystery to the staff. To me, the whole five years was a total waste.

To find that the school has morphed into "one of the leading high schools for students with an interest in engineering" is the biggest surprise I've ever had.

Frank Damp
30-Aug-2015, 12:48 PM
Dear Frank.
Thank you for the message. Although I did have good memories I also had some bad: I am afraid that I am not what you call "sport" minded and I hated gymn and games. I remember once when we has to turn upside down on the wall bars, and I am afraid I couldn't do it. Miss Probert was NOT pleased!
I DO remember Damp's shop. And I remember when the market was in the middle of Towngate.
Just after I retired I received a phone call: was there a cinema in Leyland? They were rather surprised when I said about the "Regent", and down Hough Lane, the "Palace". My cousin said it was known as the "laugh and scratch".
You might be interested: when I was on duty at the museum the other week a lady came in to ask if we had any photos of the "Gables" as she had lived there. I asked if her name was Johnson and yes, she was the daughter of Dr Johnson. She was 90, and said she had followed her father in the medical profession. He was the first person in Leyland to have a car, and she could remember him driving down Hough Lane smoking a cigar!
Best wishes
Dorothy
31-Aug-2015, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 31-Aug-2015 12:05 PM by Fiverise.)
Interesting memories and welcome to the forum ,Dorothy.
31-Aug-2015, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 31-Aug-2015 03:44 PM by Dave H.)
Welcome Dorothy, my family were the Nixons from westwood road, My business was Dave Harrison school of motoring, I remember Doctor Fotheringham driving along having a sip from his hip flask I often wondered was it medicine or whisky, maybe brandy, he was our family doctor in the days when they treated your mother your grandfather and knew the family problems that were inherited, my daughter now is a sports teacher at Balshaw`s and my grandchildren are also pupils there. I now live on the island of Crete for health reasons, happy posting.

djh