Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
31-Aug-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
My parents used to book to the Regent on Fishwiick's buses years after the place had burned down. I don't remember The Gables as anything but a pub. I was brought up in Farington and used to play in the farm fields as a kid, where Lever House estate now is. The old lady who lived at Lever House, Mrs. Soogle, hope I spelled that right used to dress all in black right down to her feet and after the coal delivery in the "backs" of East St, Stanifield Lane, came looking for lumps of coal that the wagon might have spilled off.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
31-Aug-2015, 08:29 PM
Welcome Dorothy.
I was a patient of Dr Johnson when I was young, you just went in the surgery and waited your turn to be seen not like todays surgeries having to ring for apointments hoping to be seen anytime soon.
I also worked on the gables when it was made in to a Pub it was converted by A M Tomlinsons and I was an aprentice Joiner.

frank h.
31-Aug-2015, 11:02 PM
I'd just about got used to saying "Woolworth's" instead of "The Regent" on the buses when Woolworth's closed down.

Frank
02-Sep-2015, 07:18 AM
I think I I must have been so full of fear at going to Grundy's dentist surgery I never noticed the building next door. When I realised there was a dentist in moss lane, Mr Iddon, a much friendlier man, I kicked Grundy into touch.
02-Sep-2015, 03:07 PM
My parents would have nothing whatever to do with Grundy. We used the LCC school dentists, who had a surgery in a converted house a few blocks north from Golden Hill, almost at the railway station goods yard, for several years. I also had orthodontic treatment from an school system dentist at an office in Preston, in a street just down the hill from the County office building.

We later switched to a private dentist in Preston, whose office was over the Gaumont cinema.

Frank
02-Sep-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-Sep-2015 07:39 PM by noel.)
The school dentist we went to was off northgate, Hampden Rd. It was my first visit as a 7 year old? and one I've never forgotten. Without going into detail it was not the way to encourage a young child to ever go to one again.
Edit. That's obviously the same place thinking about your description, Frank. I remember a large fanlight roof window and incidentally my friend bought the house in the early seventies when he married, partly because of that and his wife's painting hobby.
03-Sep-2015, 12:20 AM
That's the one, Noel. I couldn't remember any of the street names in that area (it's been a while!). I used to schedule my ortho appointments on the days we had gym or outdoor games at Balshaw's. They were at least once and often twice a week at the start of treatment. I kept it up through 5th form. The braces came off after I'd been working at Warton for a few months.

Frank
03-Sep-2015, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-Sep-2015 03:26 PM by Jerryt.)
(03-Sep-2015 12:20 AM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  That's the one, Noel. I couldn't remember any of the street names in that area (it's been a while!). I used to schedule my ortho appointments on the days we had gym or outdoor games at Balshaw's. They were at least once and often twice a week at the start of treatment. I kept it up through 5th form. The braces came off after I'd been working at Warton for a few months.

Frank
Yes, I remember that (Chapel Brow)
one too - recall weird distorted faces of dentist and nurse in white coats as I came out from 'under' gas anaesthesia!

(28-Aug-2015 10:54 AM)dorothy kazer Wrote:  Hello everyone.
My name is Dorothy Kazer, and I was a pupil at St John's Infant School, Earnshaw Bridge, Woodlea School (although it was called the Junior School when I attended there,) and Balshaws Grammar School. I left there in 1959 and became a librarian. For some years I was at Leyland library, although my last post was at Lostock Hall library, and now I am a volunteer at the South Ribble Museum in Church Rd (next to the Eagle and Child.)
I am very interested in local history and was fascinated to read of your memories.
I saw the Forum when I was searching and as I am a Leylander born and bred as they say I was very interested.
I would love to have news of my old classmates: we were in 4b in 1959.
Welcome, Dorothy - my word you have breathed some life into this tired old forum! I was a bit before you (and Frank etc) at the Junior School and then went to Kirkham Grammar b4 we left UK for NZ in 1954

Jerry Threlfall
07-Mar-2016, 05:30 AM
(17-Apr-2009 08:55 AM)TerryJ Wrote:  LOL Hi Dedrah - I was shy really !

Anne sure as hell wasn't !!
11-Mar-2016, 12:40 PM
I think I'd be in 2A in 1959. I visited Balshaws a few months ago. Surprised to see a Leyland and Birmingham annual award on the notice board, and lots of extra classrooms running through what was the quadrangle? parallel to the main hall. Apart from that not a lot different though the naked man statue outside the hall looked to have footrot. :-)