Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
11-Mar-2016, 04:18 PM
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
I've never been back to the place, even when we were still in the general area. I hated every hour I spent there, particularly my term and a half in the Lower 6th in the 1957/58 school year. It's amazing to see it referred to as one of the top engineering high-schools. As far as those snotty-nosed old fogies that ran the place back then. an engineer was the chap that repaired your car.

I had specifically asked to do Pure Maths, Applied Maths and Physics in the 6th, in preparation for an engineering career. I was enrolled for English, French and Latin, even though I failed the O-level Latin exam, because "I was good at languages". I was out of the assembly and in Miss Moss's outer office before old Vic made it back to his office after getting off the stage. I wasn't very polite, closer to apoplexy, but I did get reassigned, only to get stuck with Wilkie for the two maths classes.

Certainly no fond memories. Back then there was no indication that the school was affiliated with the Church of England, as its sign-board now reads. I think I'd have opted for Hutton if we'd known.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-Mar-2016, 12:15 PM
(18-May-2002 10:11 AM)brian_forshaw Wrote:  I attended Balshaw's from 1957 to 1964.
Would like to hear from anyone who remembers me.
If you look at the Friends Reunited website you will find Bill Elliot, Sue Nixon, and me.
What happened to Rodney Blackhurst, Stan Turbett, Peter Baldwin?

My cousin, John Slater would have been there during the same period. His family lived in the end house before the railway bridge, the same side of the road as the school.

Coincidentally, my name is also Forshaw!
12-Mar-2016, 09:54 PM
I was never a pupil at Balshaws but I remember going there one Saturday morning to sit my eleven plus exam. I also did quite a lot of work on the building while working for A M Tomlinsons i.e replacing all the windows in the hall, building the trophy cabinet at the rear of the hall, insulating the lofts around the buildings. Tomlinsons also used to supply replacment rugby posts to Balshaws and Hutton.

frank h.
13-Mar-2016, 02:05 AM
Frank H:

It's interesting to me that you worked for Tomlinson's. For most of my childhood and early teen years, we lived at 7 Church Road, the eastern-most of the two semis before the terraced houses that reached the War Memorial. All gone since the first "renovation" of Towngate.

The back bedroom window looked directly out at their lorry garage and our car garage formed part of the southern boundary of their works yard. Back then, they had that ex-US Army Chevrolet along with a newer Ford Thames (I think). Their hearse garage was in the same building and they had that very regal mid-1920s Rolls-Royce.

My parents finally sold the house after the widening of Church Road put the bus stop for the 109 just about on our front doorstep. We moved to Hargreaves Avenue. The Sandy Lane doctors' practice bought it and their receptionist and family lived in a remodelled upstairs floor.

Frank D
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
23-May-2016, 02:32 AM
(07-Jun-2002 05:29 AM)Guest 01 Wrote:  Well at last someone that I remember from way back.Mr Brown was in his first year teaching I think when he took me for history.I was 10.
He had a great sense of humour and the girls especially thought he was a bit of alright.So much so that we would scrap to see who could stay behind after school to chase the cricket balls.Sorry to hear the news.
There were many real characters in those days.You mentioned A.J Bull.I still have a book of his poetry somewhere.He was my English teacher too.A great contemporary of C.S Hilditch who once stood for Parliament I think in Blackpool.Hiditch came out to New Zealand on an educational tour and I met him briefly in Wellington when he retired. He and Wilkie- B.L Wilkinson- were also there for a long time.Wilkie gave up on me where Maths was concerned .He said girls could never master the subject.But he did teach me a fair bit about Classical Music and took a group of us to the Concerts in Preston.Wilkie played the piano for Assemblies many will remember.
Miss Whewell was the Art teacher who offered 5 shillings to any cricketer who could break a window in the top storey of the teaching block.
Miss Probert was the girls'PE teacher-used to make us hang from the wallbars until our arms nearly popped out of the sockets.I hid when it was time for PE and got away with it for a while.There was a little room under the stairs which was quite a success sometimes.Also John Willie -WJ Downer -Classics who produced many of the school plays.

23-May-2016, 03:11 AM
Finally got into my old school's forum. I am Glenis Taylor nee Hothersall and was at Balshaws from 1949 to 1956. Yes I remember so many of the teachers written about in the forum, especially Mr Hilditch who took me apart when he found I was transferring to science in the 6th form as I was going to be a doctor, he was convinced I should be an historian. He would be pleased to know that is exactly what I finished up as. Mr Speakman was a special favourite of mine, he used to take us off in his old van to do field studies at Malham and one night took us to a pub to hear a talk about soil, we were in the 7th form then. I really enjoyed my time at Balshaws. However about me for anyone out there who remembers me. After two years at Med. school I gave up when my husband to be had qualified at Edinburgh and pleaded long and hard with me to pack in medicine and marry him, no 'living over the brush' at that time. Four years later saw us living in the Highlands of Scotland and what a wonderful life we had there. By then we had two children and when my youngest went to school Mr Hilditch got his wish, I did a an Honours Degree in History and went on to be a history teacher. We emigrated to New Zealand and I became head of the history department at our local High School and then, wonder of wonders, after my retirement a chap in Huddersfield, who had heard of my writing, was setting up a magazine for the U3A, Open Writing, and asked me to be the NZ correspondent. Sadly it has closed now but for over ten years I submitted articles under the heading of Kiwi Konexions. I have also written a couple of books and am starting a third one.

Just a brief synopsis and a request for anyone out there who remembers me and those halcyion days to say HI.

Glen Taylor/ Hothersall.
25-May-2016, 08:19 AM
Hi Glenis and welcome
25-May-2016, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-May-2016 01:47 PM by Dave H.)
Welcome Glenis from Gill and I here on Crete, Greece, so nice to see more ex Leyland Pats joining the Leyland Forum web site returning with old memories of Leyland life before we departed to our present countries, we all have something that brings us together with our memories and celebrating our past in Leyland.

djh
25-May-2016, 06:19 PM
Welcome Glenis . An interesting read about yourself. You must have been there at the same time as Pat Leach who taught chemistry for a short time while I was there in 1957?. I believe she studied there in the early fifties? I went back recently to a scouts presentation. Very nostalgic to read the head boys' and girls' names of my era etched into the board at the back of the stage.
26-May-2016, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 26-May-2016 12:50 AM by Glenis Taylor.)
(25-May-2016 06:19 PM)noel Wrote:  Welcome Glenis . An interesting read about yourself. You must have been there at the same time as Pat Leach who taught chemistry for a short time while I was there in 1957?. I believe she studied there in the early fifties? I went back recently to a scouts presentation. Very nostalgic to read the head boys' and girls' names of my era etched into the board at the back of the stage.

Thanks for your reply Noel. No I wasn't there at the time of Pat Leach, I must have left the year before she came. My science teachers were Mr Rigby, physics, Mr Bennison, chemistry and Mr Speakman, biology. Had great times at Balshaws and it was a great school. Perhaps you remember my brother Bob, he was two years behind me. Cheers Glen

Dear Noel,

Perhaps my wife didn't tell you that her maiden name was Hothersall.