Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
26-May-2016, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 26-May-2016 03:25 AM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
Glenis:

Welcome to the forum. I've been a correspondent here for several years. I started at BGS in September 1952 (I think).
First form (1 C) was in one of the prefabs on the bank east of the main building, with the coke combustion stoves in the middle of the room. I went into the "B" stream in second form.

I have no good memories of the place, other than meeting the girl I eventually married. We celebrated our Golden Anniversary last August, here in Anacortes, Washington State, USA. where we've lived in retirement since 1999..

I decided to be an engineer quite early on (maybe about 8 years old) and was blocked at every turn in what was then a very "classical" school. Greek, Latin and French were far more important than the sciences and maths. I'm flabbergasted that Balshaw's is now a recognised engineering "center of excellence".

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
14-Jul-2017, 07:48 AM
Looking back with fondness at all the Balshaws comments. 14 years on Facebook has all but killed off debate on the forum.
13-Oct-2017, 09:47 PM
(14-Jul-2017 07:48 AM)noel Wrote:  Looking back with fondness at all the Balshaws comments. 14 years on Facebook has all but killed off debate on the forum.

All those old BGS teachers mentioned in posts, but never a word about Mrs Till and Mr Wilson - did I imagine them? And here's another, Miss Doherty who was form teacher of 1a when I started there.
14-Oct-2017, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 14-Oct-2017 09:15 PM by noel.)
I remember them John. Mr. Wilson was quite dapper from what I remember and a good dry sense of humour. Also a good shot with the blackboard duster. Remember him chasing a wasp round the classroom once with the long window hook they used to open the top windows.
I might be confusing Wilson and Wilkinson thinking about it. Miss Doherty and Till never taught me. One of the lady teachers used to come in on crutches. Maths teacher.
14-Oct-2017, 09:42 PM
(14-Oct-2017 08:56 PM)noel Wrote:  I remember them John. Mr. Wilson was quite dapper from what I remember and a good dry sense of humour. Also a good shot with the blackboard duster. Remember him chasing a wasp round the classroom once with the long window hook they used to open the top windows.
I might be confusing Wilson and Wilkinson thinking about it. Miss Doherty and Till never taught me. One of the lady teachers used to come in on crutches. Maths teacher.
That sounds like Mr Wilson Noel........he had quite a sense of humour and a gown which was in tatters and covered in chalk dust. He came in on the train and walked from the station, lived in Manchester I think.
I don't remember any of em on crutches - maybe she'd had her bunions done (whatever they are!).
I was thinking the other day about Vic Oldlands RI sessions in the hall, I don't know why. Do you remember them? Everybody spaced out, supposedly reading the bible text he'd set while he paced up and down. No wonder I was never very religious.
15-Oct-2017, 04:23 PM
The lady on crutches was Miss Whewell, the art teacher, I think. It was the result of some permanent disability as she was on crutches the whole time I was at BGS. John - I thought those R.I. lessons were the biggest waste of time of any activity at Balshaw's, though gym and sports came a close second for me.

Noel - you're not confusing Wilson and Wilkinson. Wilson was a good teacher and a pleasant character. He did both maths and history. My only comment about Wilkinson is that he was the reason I abandoned sixth form and Balshaw's. I'd signed on for pure maths, applied maths and physics. I got stuck with Wilkie for both maths curricula. I went for a BAC apprenticeship instead after only the autumn term and the first few weeks of the following term.

Old Vic had originally signed me up for French, English and Latin as he though I'd make a good linguist. I had actually failed the Latin "O"-level exam, deliberately perhaps. After he read out the 6th form assignments at Assembly, I was in Miss Moss's office before he got there. I was so angry, I might have scared the old twit. Maybe getting Wilkie was Vic's punishment.

Frank
15-Oct-2017, 07:21 PM
Yes I remember Oldland and his bible bashing. Other memories of him at assembly when we were all sat waiting his dramatic entry from the back of the hall. There was always a metallic click like he'd caught something or hit something on the way in. Further to the Wilson Wilkie thing Frank now you call him Wilkie that rang the bell. He was the photographer as well. But wasn't there a Wilcox too? or is my memory fading?.
16-Oct-2017, 03:41 PM
Yes, there was a Wilcox. I don't remember his subjects and I think he joined the staff when I was in 4th year. Wilkie should have been fired because of his attitude to the students. He was all over the girls and couldn't be bothered with the boys. It was particularly bad when we got into the smaller class sizes in 6th form.

He was a spiteful bastard, too. He wrote on my first end of term evaluation that I "hadn't a clue about maths and should pursue a career that didn't need the qualification". Interestingly, in my first maths exam at Blackpool Tech, I scored 100%. I think it was because the curriculum content was specific to the use of maths in the engineering workplace.

Frank
16-Oct-2017, 07:42 PM
(16-Oct-2017 03:41 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Yes, there was a Wilcox. I don't remember his subjects and I think he joined the staff when I was in 4th year. Wilkie should have been fired because of his attitude to the students. He was all over the girls and couldn't be bothered with the boys. It was particularly bad when we got into the smaller class sizes in 6th form.

He was a spiteful bastard, too. He wrote on my first end of term evaluation that I "hadn't a clue about maths and should pursue a career that didn't need the qualification". Interestingly, in my first maths exam at Blackpool Tech, I scored 100%. I think it was because the curriculum content was specific to the use of maths in the engineering workplace.

Frank
'Johnny' Willcox taught me French for a couple of years. I was spared Wilkinson who was alleged to have a violent reputation, having gone over the top with one or two of the lads I heard.
Mr Brown could dish it out a bit ....... but it was probably deserved (in my case at least). I recall him asking my name after some misdemenour, when I said John........"not long enough - Marmeduke" and then clipping me over the head for every letter! It was all good fun..........

John
17-Oct-2017, 08:24 AM
Wilcox and French, that's it. He grabbed my cheek once in class and called me a mugwump. Whatever that is. Lovely man!!