Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardware Stores
There was a hardware shop on the opposite corner to Ashmores it is now a dentists
R.White
Regarding the music shop at the corner of Fox Lane - Although I never visited it, I well remember the young chap who ran it, I don`t know where he lived, but he walked the length of Fox Lane every day. It got so regular that I got into the habit of looking out for him when I drove up every morning.
Jim
quote:

Originally posted by Spitfire

Regarding the music shop at the corner of Fox Lane - Although I never visited it, I well remember the young chap who ran it, I don`t know where he lived, but he walked the length of Fox Lane every day. It got so regular that I got into the habit of looking out for him when I drove up every morning.

Big chap as I remember him. The shop was called Brewers Records and they also owned the one on Chapel Brow and they may have had one in Bamber Bridge or somewhere like that.I used to go in every week to spend my spending money on singles as I was and still am, a massive lover of music !
He`s the one. I wonder if the walking was part of a weight loss regime? From memory - there was a definite difference over time.
Jim
the sumner brothers started it all with a steam lawnmower built for rugby school my uncle norman rodgers wrote a history of leyland many years ago maybe my cousin eric nixon or frank nixon still have a copy, if it interests anyone.
djh
Just joined the group and looking through some old postings ..... the quote below was submitted in 2002 in response to an enquiry from Noel.

In case Noel is still wondering ..... The hardware store was called Bolans and the store was until recently a branch of Ethel Austin in Hough Lane

quote:

Originally posted by kathryn

The hardware store that was on on Hough Lane was called Bowlands, owned by George Bowland. Damps was on Towngate. I don't live in Leyland and haven't done for seven years now, but I remember Bowlands well as I use to work on Hough Lane.
Much prefer living on the Cheshire/Shrophsire border these days.