Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father Theodore
Does anyone know what happened to Father Theodore Young who was a priest at St Mary`s in the 60s ?
Hi Sandieh,
I'll ask my bezzie .. Stella Holden ... she's sure to know.

Ciao,
Karen
T. D.
I think I remember he was 'transferred' in the late eighties to Yorkshire. He was a lovely man and enjoyed a bottle of my Dad's Non-Catholic Home Brew Wine!
I remember him having a little bubble car, he always had time for a chat, a very nice man.
I have live in Knaresborough since 1968 and for many years Father Theo was the priest at our local Roman Catholic Church. He is now retired by some frinds of mine are regularly in touch with him.
Brian
I understand that Father Theo is now eighty years old and living in Liverpool. Part of his work is with disaffected teenagers who apparently have a huge respect for him.
Regards
Brian
what a lovely person father theobald was. when my mother was dying in 1964 he visited every day and had such a soothing manner. when she died he wrote my a very moving letter because i was not in the uk and could not be there for the funeral.
this was in stark contrast to the little gremlin who was the parish priest in 1958 when i was going to marry in the congregational chapel in bretherton. i was told not to bother going back to st. mary's ever again! i do not recall that persons name but do remember fr. parker who was also a nice man.
the same happened to me and the girl i was engaged to, and I went to see fr young at st marys as I was cathlic and kathleen was methodist,she asked questions he did not like ,so we also were told to leave,so i did, I left the church and kathleen left me ,
I never went to church again and at 73 years old I have never forgiven fr theador young,
bernard mann
I'm surprised that it was Father Young, Bernard! are you sure? My devoutly Catholic Mother-in Law complained to him when we were to marry at a registry office- and indeed, when we were 'living in sin'. I'm a non-Catholic, non-Church goer anyway, but Father Young calmed her down and defended our viewpoint.
Only just lighted on the topic of Fr Young. I remember him well. Back in (I think) the 70s, he popped up on national TV. A presenter called James Burke (well known for his commentaries on space shots) was given his own free-ranging series and did a programme on credit ratings.

He asked the audience to stand up and imagine they were applying for credit. He told home owners, then anyone who had a hire purchase agreement, then those with bank overdrafts, to sit down as they'd be sure to get credit. Fr Young was left standing alone, and Burke told him he would never get credit as he was such a bad risk.

He asked him what he did for a living, and of course Fr replied "I'm a priest in the Roman Catholic Church."

Collapse of stout party, or what?
CD