Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can anyone explain the logic in this?
09-Apr-2005, 09:08 AM
Can anyone explain the logic in this?
A Swiss person has just won £49.9 million on the European lottery.
When it was indroduced, UK sales of tickets increased four fold.
Now, if the chances of winning your own countries lottery are almost non-existent, just what chance do you have when you extend it to a load of other countries also?
Finally, is the average £6 million UK jackpot not sufficient[?][?][?]?

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Apr-2005, 04:41 AM

I know what you mean. The California lottery is said to be a 23 million to one shot. It usually starts with a $7,000,000 jackpot but it is NEVER won with the first lottery, even though there are well over 23 million tickets sold !! Obviously the 'lottery' only sells probably one quarter of the actual lottery numbers, that way the jackpot gets bigger, and more people buy tickets...anyone else would go to jail for doing something like that. But as long as the government is making money at it...THAT'S OK
Quote this message in a reply
10-Apr-2005, 12:37 PM

It's called human nature Jim. People are naturally greedy.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-Apr-2006, 08:31 PM

I thought I'd tag this comment on rather than starting a new topic, as it comes under the query "can you believe this".
Manchester United the 2nd richest football club in the world has been granted a £30,000 lottery grant to improve the health of it's staff. And my wife can't get a thing for her cub group for children with disadvantages. The only help she has had is from Alcoa who were great, as were South Ribble District Council, and ironically Alcoa close down in Leyland in a couple of weeks.
£30k!! half a week's pay for Wayne Looney.
22-Apr-2006, 02:01 PM

Apparently it's so the admin staff can have yoga lessons and so forth. Hmmmm. Man U value their players so highly they pay them the sort of weekly pay the rest of us don't achieve in a year, but go cap in hand to charity to get some perks for their admin staff. OK so the admin staff aren't the superstars, but I'd like to see the club manage without them! I bet the players don't book the tour bus, flights, hotels etc for themselves when the team play away, esp abroad. (And that's merely the tip of the ice berg!) You'd think the club could reward the admin staff's help out of it's own fund - tight wads!
22-Apr-2006, 06:08 PM

Manchester United the 2nd richest football club in the world has been granted a £30,000 lottery grant to improve the health of it's staff.

What good is £30000 to ManU it's spare change for a club like that. I agree with you Noel, they've got their priorities wrong. That money could be put to far better and more deserving causes.

Perhaps Glazier could give a good example by putting his baseball cap to its proper use ie keeping the sun out of your eyes Whilst playing baseball

kat
22-Apr-2006, 06:15 PM

If anyone's interested, the probability of winning the lottery is n!/(n-r)!r! where n is the number of possible choices and r is the number of selected choices. If n = 60 and c = 6 then this works out at 60 x 59 x 58 x 57 x 56 x 54/6 x 3 x 2 x 1 anyone got a calculator??

sorry I'm a bit bored.

kat
23-Apr-2006, 08:57 AM

I can`t think of a better incentive to play the new lottery that has been introduced this week. At least you can state which charity you want your money to go into. Mine certainly wouldn`t go to Man U. - that`s for sure.
Noel, Im 100% with you in thinking it`s obsene the way deserving charities are turned away in preferece to many of these loony awards.
I`ve been playing the St.Cathrine`s lottery for quite a few years now and can honestly say that I`m not bothered if I win or not, because I know where my money is going.

Jim