Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Oldest Shoppe in Preston
01-Aug-2005, 05:49 PM

Well, David, you can always park outside my house on Broadgate and stroll into town through Miller & Avenham Parks. Absolutely free and no double yellow lines, either!quote:

Originally posted by David

I'm sure I had mentioned it. I'll arrive Oct 7, and leave Oct 27. I'll be staying with my sister in Preston, and from past experience, I won't be renting a car..too much trouble trying to park it overnight, in fact, too much trouble trying to park it anytime in Preston. They live almost downtown, so the bus station is close and the taxi service is pretty good too.

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-Aug-2005, 12:26 AM

That's very decent of you Dotty, but it would be a hell of a walk back to St Pauls Road every night after parking the car eh ? I know Broadgate very well, one of my favorite aunts used to live on Riverside, Penwortham, just over the 'Pedestrians Only' bridge at the end of Broadgate.
Quote this message in a reply
02-Aug-2005, 04:33 PM

I had a close friend who lived in Ardee Road, have sadly lost touch with, name of Fred Pritchard. Any offers?

William R
02-Aug-2005, 06:52 PM

Sorry, William, I don't know of a Fred Pritchard, but I'll try to find out if you like. Do you recall how long ago he lived in Ardee Road? I've lived on Broadgate for more than 28 years.quote:

Originally posted by William R

I had a close friend who lived in Ardee Road, have sadly lost touch with, name of Fred Pritchard. Any offers?

William R

02-Aug-2005, 06:54 PM

Oh dear, David, yes it would be rather a trek, wouldn't it? I am very near to Riverside, right opposite the old Penwortham Bridge. How long ago did your aunt live there?quote:

That's very decent of you Dotty, but it would be a hell of a walk back to St Pauls Road every night after parking the car eh ? I know Broadgate very well, one of my favorite aunts used to live on Riverside, Penwortham, just over the 'Pedestrians Only' bridge at the end of Broadgate.

04-Aug-2005, 02:30 PM

My goodness Dotty, now you're asking !! She lived there for almost all of her married life, she must have died maybe twenty years ago.
I had yet another aunt that lived just a few blocks from her in Penwortham, on Lark Ave. As a young boy living off New Hall Lane, I used to walk down London Road then along the river, over Tram Bridge, to Riverside...thought nothing of it ;-) Fit as a butcher's dog back then eh ??
04-Aug-2005, 08:35 PM

Now, David, you've started something here - I know New Hall Lane is a long road, but did you live near Skeffington Road? My grandma lived there until her death in 1964, near "Brown & Brooke", the fish and chip shop! I went there every Saturday and many times during school holidays - my gran's, that is, not the chip shop. My parents were married at St Matthew's Church nearby. Also remember Mr & Mrs Woodruff's shop on the corner of Scotforth Road, and Unsworth's on Ribbleton Lane (where my older cousin used to take me for a walk then try to lose me...)quote:

My goodness Dotty, now you're asking !! She lived there for almost all of her married life, she must have died maybe twenty years ago.
I had yet another aunt that lived just a few blocks from her in Penwortham, on Lark Ave. As a young boy living off New Hall Lane, I used to walk down London Road then along the river, over Tram Bridge, to Riverside...thought nothing of it ;-) Fit as a butcher's dog back then eh ??

04-Aug-2005, 08:50 PM

Until 1960 I lived on Crowle Street, three blocks past Acregate Lane.
I too was married at St Matts. 1958.
It's a small world.
http://www.webspawner.com/users/thehughlocks
17-Oct-2005, 09:30 AM

I don't recall that name....Hutton. I left Fishwicck at Christmas 1952.
I have a great photo of the little shop on Cheapside, I'll put it up when I get home.
I bought a lot of fifty pound notes from our bank in Ca. to bring with me. I went into the Lloyds Bank opposite the covered market to change some to lower denominations, figuring I may have difficulty with shop keepers not wanting to take them...would you believe even the bank wouldn't change them for me....[8D] Welcome to England [Big Grin]
17-Oct-2005, 11:53 AM

Don`t worry, you`ll soon get used top being treated with suspicion in this country. Hand any denomination of banknote over here and it has to be verified with a U.V. pen stripe/ put under a special light/ held up to the light/ particularly if its just come from gthe Bank in mint condition.

The best way with £50 notes is to hand it over, look blank, say "me not understand English, you give me money" If that doesn`t work, keep looking blank, then ask the question "Have not good English, is money not good in England?" but be sure to act as though you are from Eastern Europe, it should work. When you go to buy anything, do not accept the price asked, put on the blank look and say "Money too much you ask, I give you this" and offer much less. It generally works if you take the goods, offer the money and leave the shop and keep muttering "Not understand". That`s how it works in Barnsley, and it helps if you have a partner dressed in black, head to foot with only the eyes showing. Act dumb, and you get away with it.