Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Oldest Shoppe in Preston
30-Oct-2005, 02:01 PM

[Image: Mypictures043.jpg] There it is, the oldest shop in Preston, on Cheapside, opposite the Harris.
Quote this message in a reply
01-Nov-2005, 08:01 PM

Gosh, it's like the Old Curiosity Shop! Take away the amusement arcade next door and I wouldn't be surprised to see a little match girl selling her wares from the doorway. Postively Dickensian!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Nov-2005, 02:33 PM

I read somewhere that there was a culverted river/stream that originated somewhere in the Avenham/city center area and emptied into the Ribble. Do any of our posters/historians know anything about this ?
I went into the Harris to enquire about it but was told I would have to make an appointment to speak with a city historian, but it was toward the end of my vacation so i didn't have the time to do it. I have since e-mailed the Harris asking about this river but have received no answer as yet. Any locals know of its whereabouts and why it was culverted ?
Quote this message in a reply
15-Nov-2005, 03:55 PM

Yes, David, I can help you a little with this: at the bottom of Stoneygate in Preston is Arkwright House, where the first "Spinning Jenny" was set up for producing warp thread. It was called a Water Frame because it was driven by water power from the River Syke which ran alongside the house to the left of Arkwright House. There is still a small street called Syke Street there today. In 1812 (cue Overture music!!) the river was culverted in, but still flows about eight feet below the surface. So howzabout that, then?quote]Originally posted by David

I read somewhere that there was a culverted river/stream that originated somewhere in the Avenham/city center area and emptied into the Ribble. Do any of our posters/historians know anything about this ?
I went into the Harris to enquire about it but was told I would have to make an appointment to speak with a city historian, but it was toward the end of my vacation so i didn't have the time to do it. I have since e-mailed the Harris asking about this river but have received no answer as yet. Any locals know of its whereabouts and why it was culverted ?
15-Nov-2005, 09:22 PM

Does anyone remember the name of the toyshop in Preston Its on the tip of my tongue but I will reconize it if someone says the name. You had to go upstairs to the toy department.
16-Nov-2005, 02:23 AM

Mears !! A fascinating shop, what a joy to stroll thru !

One could enter in Fishergate or Cannon St.

Mears later opened a furniture/carpet shop on Friargate, just opposite where the Hippodrome used to be !

Merigolds also used to have a shop with a raised level at the rear, next door to the Odeon/New Vic., they also sold some toys ,and sports gear !
16-Nov-2005, 02:31 AM

Thankyou Alan it was Merigold's the one I remember I shall be able to sleep tonight.
16-Nov-2005, 02:36 AM

The curiously small shop on Friargate/ Cheepside, opposite the Harris Libriary and Art Gallery used to be a tobacconist's they had a good range of Pipes, Petersons, Meerschams etc. the whole shop had a sweet aromatic tobacco aroma ,that shop and The House of Bewlay on the corner or Fishergate and Guildhall St, together with Woods next door to the Odeon/ Gaumont/ New Vic. were 'the' tobacconists ,in Preston.

I wonder if the man with the handcart/baking oven is still on Cheapside, selling hot potatoes ?
16-Nov-2005, 08:40 AM

I know that we are all anti-smoking now, but wasn`t it a nice smell when you went into a Tobacconists and took in the different aromas.
What was nicer than the smell of cigar smoke at Christmas?

Mentioning Mears and Merigolds brings back a lot of memories. At Christmas didn`t Mears put on a display of electric trains, I seem to recall going there and just looking. Happy days!!

When I ask the family what the grandchildren want for Christmas I get the standard answer, send them a Voucher. I remember once putting a £10 note in an envelope for one grandchild, and on Christmas morning I went to see them, and daughter asked me what I was giving for Chrismas, mentioned Note and panic set in, bags of discarded wrapping paper was emptied onto the floor and searched. The note was found and a lesson learned on all sides.

Big decision time now, will it be Argos, Early Learning, W.H.Smith or even Claires who provide them; or should it be an apple, an orange, a sugar pig, and a bar of Nestles Chocolate?? We had to make do with that sort of thing.
16-Nov-2005, 12:39 PM

BIll, this idea's been in my mind for a couple of days, but your above post made my mind up. Let's have a Christmas thread in Any Other Business and we can get our teeth into all things Christmas related. :-)