Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How times change....
23-May-2005, 12:48 PM
How times change....
Looking through a book on Preston history in the Harris building, I saw a photo looking down on New Hall Lane in 1901. It was a Church walking day and it said that 55,000 people turned out to watch and the Mill owners gave workers time off to see them walk by. 55,000 people!!
If there was a church walk now, which there isn't, you would be lucky to get 5 people turning out ( and they would probably get slapped and videoed by kids).....( and the kid's film shown on the tv news)....
What have we come to??

Roy's claim to fame.
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/i...v&newest=1
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-May-2005, 01:08 PM

Sorry to correct you ishake,but there are still some Church walking days the one in Leyland is on June 12th and Starts at St Ambroses and finishes at St Marys it is part of the Churches together faith week in Leyland that starts on 4th June.
23-May-2005, 07:50 PM

Of course I stand corrected Shuffy, thanks for that.
In my defence I suppose I was thinking New Hall Lane, I am pretty sure there aren't any along there nowadays?....but I might be wrong again !!
I do know for a fact that some of our local village churches have now stopped the traditional walk because they cannot afford the bill for police duty....and because there is nobody left in the church fit to carry a banner.

Roy's claim to fame.
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/i...v&newest=1
24-May-2005, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the post on our webpage Roy. I was born and raised on New Hall Lane. I lived on Crowle Street, close to Waverley Park, sometimes known as Ribbleton Park. I attended St Matthews Boys' School, and in fact was married 1958, at St Matthews church.
If ever an area changed, it is New Hall Lane. Last summer when I was on vacation in England, I went back to St Matthews School to have a look around, actually went into the school. If I had been blindfolded and put there then had the blindfold removed and been asked "Where are you". I would have had to guess at Pakistan.
If only my parents could see the area now.
Our family were one of the first residents of the now infamous Callon Estate. But it was a good place back before the rot set in. Makes you wonder just what happened doesn't it. It always was a working class community, but the people were hard working folks, making their livings at the local mills, Dick Kerr's, and Courtauld's. There was a busy shopping area along New Hall Lane with the Co-op at the corner of Acregate Lane, chip shops every 100 yards, confectioner's, three bycycle shops, a Post Office opposite St Matthew's Church, two barber shops, a few cobbler's where we could take our clogs to be re-cokered, toffee shops, a hardware store, two theatres, the Queens, and the Plaza, not to mention quite a few pubs, mostly family owned businesses, trying to make a living.
Even the dead center of Preston was located on New Hall Lane, right there at the junction of Blackpool Road...the cemetery !! That's still there...but everything else has long since gone, now just a memory...even the church walks.
Quote this message in a reply
17-Jun-2005, 01:31 AM

I grew up in that area, I lived at Ansdell Street and then Dickson Avenue. I used to go to the baths in Waverley Park.

Do you remember how cold the water was in those open air baths I still remember the shock as you got in!!!!

They used to supply car and tractor inner tubes to sit in and play with in the pool which is what sometimes gave it the edge over Saul Street baths when it was open inthe summer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-Jun-2005, 04:05 AM

David:

My sister taught entry-level at St. Matthews for 10 years or more (retiring about 1990?). She actually went to night school to learn the basics of the Gujarati language so she could talk to the children.

The typical family dynamic was that Dad came over to the UK, settled in Preston, got a job and started saving up to bring the rest of the family over. When they arrived, they settled into an all-Pakistani enclave. The wives had virtually no English capability, and lived in a neighborhood of Gujarati speakers. Their kids grew up not speaking English, so when they started school, the teachers were unable to communicate with them.

I think Jean's decision to learn the basics was almost a self-preservation move. At least she could tell them to "hang your coat up, sit down, be quiet" etc., in a language they recognised (even with a strong Lancashire accent).

In my after-retirement job as a bus driver, I've found that a lot of my passengers are native Spanish speakers (Latin American Spanish). The elderly people who have joined their successful children in the area have the biggest problem. I'm working on learning Spanish, but a big problem is that most formal courses teach Castillian "Royal" Spanish, complete with the phoney lisp. I need to learn the Mexican/Venezuelan/whatever dialect. Classes that cover this are difficult to find.

When we publish Rider Guides and other customer documents in Spanish, it's amazing how those who work for the agency and speak "Spanish" disagree on the translation from English. It's almost like trying to write documents in Lancashire dialect without getting the Yorkshire folks upset!

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
17-Jun-2005, 02:39 PM

The day that I went back to St. Matthews I stood in the foyer for quite some time waiting to be 'admitted'. The room was quite large with a lot of posters etc. pasted to the walls. I was struck by how little 'English' there was, both with the scholars that came through that room, and with the staff, not to mention the posters themselves.
Like I said in an earlier post...if I hadn't known that New Hall Lane was just outside the door.....Our generation, the 50 thru 70 age group has seen so much change in this world of ours. It make you wonder just what life in Britain is going to be like some 50 years from now. What with Britain allowing her Empire to dwindle, and the scale of immigration into England from the 'Empire'. The whole face of the country has changed, the old customs have disappeared, no more Whitsuntide for instance, now it's Spring Break ! How long before Christmas becomes Winter Break ? The changes in the monetary system, the weights and measures, all changed. I understand that you now have to get permission to fly the Union Jack ?? Just where is all this going ??? I wonder if this is what the men and women of two World wars fought for....I don't think so.
Quote this message in a reply
13-Jul-2005, 04:51 AM

I fly the union jack most days in the USA however some days like July 4th etc I do run up the american flag
19-Jul-2005, 12:12 AM

My late Husband was born in Waverley Gardens off Acregate Lane, and his Sister who is now 79, always bemoans the way that New Hall Lane and Ribbleton Lane have deteriorated. I dont know about Church Walks. Most of the churches have been converted to different uses.
The church walks that I remember most vividly, are the Preston Guild ones. In the 1972 Guild, Cardinal Heenan was walking in the Catholic procession, and he was walking from one side of the road to the other, shaking people by the hand and talking to the children. I am not a Catholic, but the sheer humanity of the man shone through on that day. Having said that, I grew up in Liverpool just after the war, and Church processions, of all denominations were dreadful affairs, and you were kept indoors. Just like Belfast today. I was only nine when we moved to Kirkham, and I could not get over all the Churches walking together on Club Day.
19-Jul-2005, 03:59 AM

Welcome lancashire Lassie.Yes when we were children catholics didn't enter protestant Churches now we have joint services, like the faithes together week in Leyland recently that started at St Ambroses (C of E) and ended at St Marys (catholic) with various concerts etc at the methodists and United Reform Churches in between.
At the end of the day all those denominations are supposed to all be Christians so it is only right to get together.