Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland Senior School. Pre-War.
01-Feb-2006, 04:25 PM

Bill, Sorry, but I pre-date you by a few years, being at the Senior School when it first opened in the 1930`s. Mr Church was indeed Albert Bath Church, but I didn`t know that he married Miss Farington, she came from Coppull and was Edith.

I left the school at Easter 1939 to take up my apprenticeship at Leylands (another story) and recall a few of the names mentioned. We were the pupils who were asked what the school badge should be, or the school colours, but House names had already been decided:-
Olympian - Red
Spartan Blue
Corinthian Yellow
Athenian Green

House masters, a few names here, Mr. Middlehirst, Mr.Oddy, then there was a Miss Crozier (Music) Miss Farington, and others

A few class names, Bill Atherton, Tom Harper, Frank Rukin,Norman Crook, Joe Roocroft, Jack Pickersgill, Geoff Standish, Eileen Walsh, Betty Jones, Christine Parr, Alma Freeman, Where are they now? How have the years treated them? Memories - but not forgotten.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-Feb-2006, 10:55 PM

Hello BillFiles here are a few more names you might remember - Harry Way - Jimmy Holland - Joan Stephens - Jimmy Rigby - all from the same class and era as myself. Also from Mead Avenue there was Robert Cameron - Ian Day - Maurice Bamber - Billy Rukin - Peter Aspey and there are others that slip my mind at the moment. There was a reunion in I think 2002 in Leyland of ex Leyland Secondary Modern Pupils. I could not attend as I was away at the time, perhaps there are people out there who did attend and could offer some more names. Regards Tony
02-Feb-2006, 04:49 AM

Tony:

Did Billy or Frank Rukin have a son? I seem to rememeber a David Rukin in my classes at Balshaw's. If he was my contemporary, he'd be middle-sixties age now.

William:

Was Joe Roocroft the person who had the butcher's shop at the Golden Hill/School Lane intersection?

I was at Fox Lane with Frank Parr, whose Dad had a decorating/plumbing business on Towngate across from the Public Hall. Maybe Christine was his dad's brother?

Also, Pickersgill is a fairly unusual name. The girls' gym teacher at Balshaw's was a Mrs. Pickersgill. She got married during the time I was a pupil, but I can't remember her maiden name.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
02-Feb-2006, 05:07 AM

I can remember some names from the 40's. David Gardner Keith Gardner Malcolm Gardner, David Martin, Kenneth Woods. Have to ask my brother for some more names.
02-Feb-2006, 11:33 AM

Maybe Mrs Pickersgill was Miss Probert who was Gym teacher at Balshaws for the 7 years that I was there.
A very tough lady as I remember.
02-Feb-2006, 07:06 PM

Hi Frank,
Joe Roocroft lived on a farm in Altcar Lane,
then had various businesses including ..
laying hedges, falling chimney stacks and then
started a business putting the center dividers
down the freeways.
The family still have this .. headed by Joe's sons
Joseph ans David.
Joe is married to my cousin Margaret nee Fiddler
from Bow Lane Leyland, they now live on a farm in
Farington ..Joe still enjoys his afternoon social
meeting ...formerly at the old Farington House ..
now at another Farington venue that escapes my memory!

I think the butcher's shop was Jake Kay's.

Ciao The Ducess

T. D.
02-Feb-2006, 07:37 PM

Frank I remember David Rukin, there was a Jack Rukin as well who I think was his brother but I don't think he went to Balshaws, I met him later through work, would be in his sixties now if he were still alive.

Which he isn't sadly. Sounds like Mrs Pickersgill was Miss Probert prior to her marriage, I wonder if Lady G can help.
03-Feb-2006, 04:42 AM

Not Miss Probert. She was 1C home room teacher (I was in 1C). I think it was Miss Hutchins that became Mrs. Pickersgill.

Kay's butcher's shop was at the Chapel Brow end of Golden Hill, about where the Indian restaurant is now, maybe a couple of doors down from Parkinson's. Roocroft's was in the block of shops the curved around the corner of School Lane and Golden Hill, across from Fishwick's garage.

If I remember right, Roger Roocroft was the son of the proprietor and he married Valerie Metcalfe, who was in a lot of my classes at Balshaw's. The operatic soprano Amanda Roocroft is their daughter.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
03-Feb-2006, 09:42 AM

Neil Roocroft was one of my class mates. Probably one of my "best mates" in my time at Balshaws. Roger's brother. If they were the sons of the butcher, he died quite young because Neil was only around 13 when his dad died. I think they lived in Coppull, I know Roger still does. There was a Granada documentary about Amanda a few years ago and Roger and Val featured on it.
03-Feb-2006, 03:35 PM

Not sure who Miss Probert married -that event was after my time but she was most certainly the gym teacher and as I said a tough lady -took no prisoners.
I spent most of my PE time trying to keep out of her way.
The only other single female teachers I remember were Miss Rahill,Miss Whewell,
Miss Doherty ,Miss Ball who was a cookery teacher and Miss Twist.Apart from Miss Twist ,who did marry,I think the others remaned single.Miss Twist had lovely naturally curly hair and taught Maths.
I think Miss Proberts first name was Ida.
Going back a fair while!
[Smile]