Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland Senior School. Pre-War.
04-Feb-2006, 04:24 AM

You're right Frank..
the butcher at the corner of School Lane was Jack Roocroft.
It was driving me crazy..(I heard that Bryan!!) .. so I
phoned Joe .. Jack's father and Joe's father were cousins.
I feel better now!![Big Grin]

T. D.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-Feb-2006, 05:16 PM

Yes it was Miss Hutchings with a g that became Mrs Pickersgill and it was Jack she was married to. I got that straight from the horses mouth so as to speak LOL. I see her most weeks at Church so I asked her this morning. She seems to keep very well and apart from being a bit older still looks the same.
05-Apr-2010, 03:47 PM

Dan Barlow.. I attended the school in 1936-39and I well remember Albert Bath Church, along with Mr's Middlehurst, Oddey, Kay, Farrer and the Woodwork teacher Mr Crocker. The head mistrees was Miss Ward who taught Geography.Some names I remember in the class were Bill Atherton, Bill Daggers, Jack Crook, Russ Staplefor are there any more hanging about from thaqt Era? After the war I married Winifred Mayor who at that time lived in Golden Hill lane.
06-Apr-2010, 10:45 AM

Hello William R. I too left the Senior School aqt easter 1939, and I remember one ore two classmates, Bill Atherton, Russ Stapleford Jack Crook, Norman Crooks, Bill Daggers. I started off in the B form and after one term was moved up to an A Form along wqith Russ, Jack and Joyce Wheeler. Theree were also the twins named Brindle, I cant recall their Christian names. Hope to keep in touch now that I have found the Forum. I have lived in Derbyshire since being demobbed from the Royaql marines. Dan Barlow
07-Apr-2010, 10:21 AM

William R. Some more names I remember Jack wallbanks a lad called Caudwell forgotten his first name Tubby Fielding. Mr Kay who taught maths and science. Miss Scott who was my first Class teacher, I think she taught maths to the girls. What memories you are bringing back to me.
09-Apr-2010, 01:00 PM

Wiilliam R. After a couple of hours in the garden and I remembered a couple more names from
the time I spent at the Senior School. Ted Burrows he worked in the office of the chassis shop, Gibson whose father was a Police Inspector and lived in the Police Statiion in Chapel Brow, and Sothworth who we called Chuggy. Bill Atherton went in the Navy as a Boy seaman when he left school. I can see that I shall have to do some more digging.
14-Apr-2010, 11:07 AM

Hello BillFiles, Sorry Im going back a bit to 1937/8 Just a query did you know the Hall twins who came from Euxton, their father was a Security Officer at the ROF at the time.
15-Apr-2010, 12:09 PM

William R, You certainly have started something. Memories are flooding back, was the Geof Standish you mention did his father have a barbers shop in Chapel Brow? Another couple of names I have conjured up-- Florence Huchtings we used to call Flutch I think she married Tom Bond. In the year below me there was Jack wrennalls who father had a grocers shop in Golden Hill Lane, Then there was Arthur Holt who lived in Yewlands Drive. Mr Rae the Caretaker, Mr Oddey was very accurate with his bits of chalk and a slipper whilst taking PT. Mr Middlehurst used the board duster on out posteriors, It was a badge of honour to have a dusty chalk mark on the seat of your trousers. Still pondering.
20-Apr-2010, 12:58 PM

Sorry to be late coming back. You certainly rattle the cage here with the class of 38. Throw a few more in - was it Florrie Hutchins who married Tom Bond, thinking who was the one who could play the piano but couldn`t read a note of music. Geoff Standish lived in Windsor Aveue off Church next to Jack Pickersgill. Remember that A.B.Church used to live at the end of Windsor Avenue on the new Canberra Road. Thinking - Alma Freeman lived down at the end of Canberra Road, Marie Parr, Christine Parr, Harry Halton went in the Navy, had a hectic night with him in London. Ted Burrows and Harry. I seem to remember Arthur Makepeace who came from India, his father was at the ROF. As you say, to name but a few...... where are they now and what did they do? Remember Eileen Walsh? rings a bell. Now where did Stanley Blackhurst come in - he was a relative of Ted Newby of Leyland Fire Brigade,, lived on Water Street. Enough for now - but I remember a Vincent Owen who lived at Euxton with his brother Bernard, but may be mixing Leyland lads here.
20-Apr-2010, 05:11 PM

Just had an hour gardening and now fr a cup of coffee. I remember the two Parr girls but they were not related, Sorry it Was Richard Standing who was the barber's son and he was in the year above me. Yes Florence Hutchings did marry Tom Bond who was a Radio Op in the Merchant navy. Stanley Blackhurst if I remember rightly was an avid Stamp collector. In the 1950s sometime I visisted my Parents and saw Alma Freeman in Water Street shopping but I never made a proper cantact. Another name I recall was a fair haired girl named Holmes she lived up near the Paint works. The wheels are whirring around in the brain box once more,