Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Former EE/BAC Warton Engineer Apprentices
27-Jun-2002, 06:30 AM
Former EE/BAC Warton Engineer Apprentices
Although these folks aren't Leylanders, I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who knows their present whereabouts. If anyone thinks I'm extending the reach of the forum too far, please post your objections.

I'd like to hear from anyone who went through the English Electric/British Aircraft Corp (Warton) apprentice system between 1959 and 1966.

I joined EE in 1958 as a student apprentice, after leaving Balshaw's Grammar School (Leyland), subsequently doing the first year of an ONC at Harris Tech, then an OND sandwich course at Blackpool Tech, finishing with a Dip. Tech., at RCAT-Salford. The OND at Blackpool was the first class to go though the program. I know where classmates Tony Ward, Mike Wheeler and Ged Kelbrick are but have no idea what happened to Bob Grieve, Gary Ashmore or Charlie Jarman. Mick Barker is in NY somewhere, I think - he worked for Consolidated Edison.

I also know that Ronnie McMahon, the apprentice school second-in-command and tug-of-war genius, has retired from Bell Helicopter and is living in rural Texas someplace.

I would also like to hear any trace of a fellow-student at Salford and distant cousin Rodney Bailey, who worked for Leyland Motors.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA, USA

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Mar-2003, 10:26 PM

Frank, I`ll kick a bit of life into this thread. Went on a visit from Leylands to E.E. at Warton when it was the Warton American Technical School. They carried out training courses for returning American soldiers in the Hangars. Building houses from the hangar floor up, completely finished. The next intake demolished them and started again. They had all sorts of courses, very well carried out. Before that it was an airfield, I think they sent some bombers off over the Ribble estuary, we used to go on our bikes to watch them take off..just been watching the B52`s take-off to Iraq. Does anyone one remember the plane which crashed on Freckleton School, killing numerous children, go there and see the Memorial Garden. From over the Pennkines, Cheerio, Bill.
24-Mar-2003, 02:06 AM

August 23 1944 a Liberator bomber returning to Warton after a test flight came down and hit a cafe opposite the infant school 38 infants were killed in the subsequent explosion plus teachers -one teacher was new to the class.I believe it was her first day.There were other fatalities as well.My husband was born in Freckleton and was away at the war at the time-his father had the garage- there, and that day his sister by chance didn't go to school.
It was so heartbreaking after the War when he took me back there -so noticeable for the absence of young children around such a lovely village.
24-Mar-2003, 11:24 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Lady Griffin

August 23 1944 a Liberator bomber returning to Warton after a test flight came down and hit a cafe opposite the infant school 38 infants were killed in the subsequent explosion plus teachers -one teacher was new to the class.I believe it was her first day.There were other fatalities as well.My husband was born in Freckleton and was away at the war at the time-his father had the garage- there, and that day his sister by chance didn't go to school.
It was so heartbreaking after the War when he took me back there -so noticeable for the absence of young children around such a lovely village.

Thanks Lady G for fillinmg in the gapsm, a very sad day for all, I remember. Cheers, Bill.
01-Sep-2003, 08:13 PM

September 1, 2003, Labour day. and the LANCASTER BOMBER from the Canadian warplane heritage museum ( Warplane.com ) has just flown over, the distinct sound from it,s four Rolls Royce Merlin engines resonating through the skies ,the aircraft returning to it,s Hamilton Airport home from a display in Toronto.
01-Sep-2003, 08:27 PM

Suggest taking the EE/BAC apprentices timeframe back to 1953. After leaving Preston Technical school ( Mr Woods was the head and who could forget Mssrs. Hulse,Hall,Tookey,Birkin,O.Donogue ) and commencing in the school at Strand Road, spending day upon day filing square holes and bars of steel and aquiring blistered hands. What had this got to do with designing aircraft ?
01-Sep-2003, 10:04 PM

Alan, I remember Jock Hulse, a bit like Magnus Pike. It was he who kindled my interest in maths, he was very eccentric, but quite brilliant. On the filing bit, I to had the same, apparently useless excercizes, but I can file just as accurately today, as I bet you can.
John
01-Sep-2003, 10:31 PM

Hey Alan,
So you did sqoure holes in boring bars did you?So did I -Lots of them !
Cheers
William R
01-Sep-2003, 10:32 PM

Apologies -I mean Square of course!
Lady G
01-Sep-2003, 11:16 PM

Square holes in boring bars? Where do you go drinking Bill?

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user