Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Former EE/BAC Warton Engineer Apprentices
21-May-2013, 06:09 PM
RE: Former EE/BAC Warton Engineer Apprentices
Paul:

I was a bit earlier than you, starting in a Warton-based apprentice program in April 1958. The first year was day-release for ONC at Harris, but then the company launched an OND sandwich course at Blackpool Tech and I was among the first intake (8 students). With such a small group, it was almost one-on-one with the instructors and I landed a Technical State Scholarship to do a Dipl.Tech degree at what was then the Royal College of Advanced Technology - Salford. That was also a sandwich course - Jan - June at school and then July- December in the company training program, mainly at Warton, but with one 3-month segment at Strand Road. I got my degree in July 1965, shorlty after Wilson's clowns cancelled TSR-2. Although not actually made redundant, the jobs available to recent grads were not much fun.

I quit for a job with Wickman Machine Tools in Coventry, then with Norton-Villiers in Wolverhampton. In 1968, I was offered a job with Boeing and have been in the US ever since. I retired from Boeing after 28 years, went back a couple of years as a contract engineer, then left the engineering profession altogether.

Frank Damp (previously "anacortesdamp")
Anacortes, WA USA
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-Jun-2013, 03:29 AM
RE: Former EE/BAC Warton Engineer Apprentices
Note:

Thanks to Martin's intervention, my previous username of "anacortesdamp" has been recovered.
Frank-anacortes is now retired.

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply