Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Croston
06-Jan-2006, 05:37 AM
Croston
Can anyone let me know what its like in Croston I have been reading up on places to live but find that sometimes places are not exactly as the write-ups would have you believe.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Jan-2006, 05:21 PM

Have you considered renting for a while after you come over? That way you can get a feel of what a place is like without having committed yourself.
07-Jan-2006, 09:09 PM

Muffers, Croston is what you would call a `one horse village`. It`s quite nice but very quiet, with one single road running through it. There are more pubs than shops, Tesco, in Leyland, being the nearest decent shopping location. It wouldn`t suit me, but there are plenty of people who like that type of lifestyle.

Jim
07-Jan-2006, 09:53 PM

Yes we are going to rent when we return but its nice to hear what other people think of places. I live in a village now (in the US) thats just built along a road no real atmosphere to the place. Course we have no pubs. One little shop and thats about it apart from all the houses.
07-Jan-2006, 10:54 PM

Hi Muffers, I live a few fields away from Croston but it's about five minutes by road from my house. It seems a decent place when I go through it but as with all places there are parts of it I would like to live in and other parts I wouldn't but a house. Overall I would say it's not a bad place at all but I don't live there, I only visit it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-Jan-2006, 07:10 AM

Would you say drugs are a big problem in Lancashire or even the UK I know here in the US they have drugs in the big cities and some of the towns but there are lots of places were they don't exists or they are less. I really feel sorry for the youth of today many of them have been left to their own devices and others over indulged. Perhaps I should look to the South for the tranquility I desire.
08-Jan-2006, 08:00 AM

Averil I would say you are definitely better off in our little area of Lancashire. Here in Whittle we have a very low crime rate I personally have never come across any drug problem and our local youths are a pretty decent bunch.
08-Jan-2006, 07:06 PM

I find it very interesting that different people come away with very different opinions on a place and I mean any place. I have friends who live in and around Leyland and they all have completely opposite opinions on places in and around the Preston area. In the end it all depends on what you yourself are looking for. My husband wants to live close to a small airport where he can continue his flying but it is much more expensive in the UK than here in the US. I on the other hand will be happy with a village or town that has a good bus service to towns around. I also dont want to live in an area that is a pull to holiday visitors. I lived in Chester for many years and really hated the summer visitors and now its much worse.
08-Jan-2006, 07:31 PM

Hi Muffers, I don't know of ANY crime in my area since I moved here in 1987! It's very quiet here.

I fly from Blackpool Airport and I was thinking of going to the states to get some cheap flying time in one day, the cost here is much higher than the usa. We also have Woodvale and Barton airports nearby.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-Jan-2006, 08:24 PM

Hi David, yes my husband was astonished at the prices for flying in the UK. He said they even charge you for touch landings when you don't even land. Its much easier here. He fly's at Rochester airport in New Hampshire. Its only a small place no big traffic. He was thinking of buying a helicopter kit and bringing it to the UK but he is not sure about the restrictions on them. It would probably take him forever to build it. I joked that by the time he built it he would forget what it was.