Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apprenticed at Leyland Motors
28-Jan-2006, 05:51 AM
Apprenticed at Leyland Motors
I was at Leyland Motors during my apprenticeship from 1969 through 1973. I remember the strike in 73, it was during the strike that I decided that New Zealand was the place for me. I worked at Spurrier Works, Farrington, South Works and North Works. I was working in the nozzle shop when I finished, my mother had been at Leyland Motors during the war. She was at work the day the bomb dropped through the workshops at Farrington. I remember the casing outside of the workshop when I left.

I joined the Police in New Zealand in 1977 and am still there to this day as an Inspector. I had fond memories of Leyland.

B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
28-Jan-2006, 10:40 AM

Welcome Barry. My mother was shop steward in the nozzle shop at that time she was a member of the strike committee which was odd for someone who always voted conservative, well in those days anyway. I remember a few names from there and things such as "capstan" whatever that was. Welcome anyway, don't blame you for emigrating to New Zealand, somewhere I always wanted to go.
28-Jan-2006, 04:10 PM

Welcome Barry.
My dad worked at spurrier but if was after your time I'm afraid. He worked there from 1975 till 1990.
28-Jan-2006, 07:20 PM

Capstan Lathes Noel ... I remember them well.

B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
28-Jan-2006, 09:15 PM

My mother was called Florence, I remember Eric Rawcliffe who was what mum called a "setter" I think, and another man Yates, who was a really keen runner, ran to work every day with bricks in a ruck sack to make it more difficult.
29-Jan-2006, 07:06 AM

Noel, ask your mother if she remembers Ada Smalley. I remember Eric and yes he was a tool setter. They had a cushy life in the nozzle shop, well from where I was as the apprentice they did ... laugh

B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
29-Jan-2006, 07:07 AM

Sorry Noel, I should have asked if your mother was still alive. My mother is in her 80's, dad passed away three years ago. Sorry if I gaffed.

B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
29-Jan-2006, 08:51 AM

My mum worked in the nozle shop about that time Celia Shufflebottom, yes you can all laugh
29-Jan-2006, 10:19 AM

Who`s laughing Dedra? Certainly not I. [}Smile][Tongue]

Jim
29-Jan-2006, 09:06 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Barry Smalley

Sorry Noel, I should have asked if your mother was still alive. My mother is in her 80's, dad passed away three years ago. Sorry if I gaffed.

There was a Smalley she mentioned but I can't remember her first name.Smalley is a very popular local name, it may have been Ada.
Mum died nearly 20 years ago Brian aged 74, don't worry about any "gaf".