Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apprenticed at Leyland Motors
01-Feb-2006, 04:40 PM

I enjoy reading about all that happened since I left Leyland in 1950,and have previously posted a lot about the early days, for the record I was one of the first to be sent to start the MOS Factory in 1951, Later to become Spurrier Works, used to be summoned to meetings with "young Henry" Spurrier and his side-kick Stanley Markland about the layout of the MOS Factory. Remember when it was a field of cabbages? Any of you ancients remember Gracie Fields opening the Royal Ordnance Factory in 1937/38? Held in the grounds of Liseux Hall at the top of Dawson Lane it was, how time passes.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-Feb-2006, 02:01 AM

Welcome Barry,

My father Fred Elcock worked at South Works
and at the 'Tank Factory' .. he used to take
his morning cuppa each morming to the fence
by the railway line and wave to my sister
and I as we went past on the Preston train.

I remember pre Tank Factory Bill .. we used
to picnic there near 'Neddy Springs'.
I think I've posted this before ..many moons ago
We used to call the area 'Little Blackpool'..
'cos of all the sand [8D]

There was also problems with huge sink holes
when the factory was being built ..
I think I've remembered that bit right[?]

T. D.
02-Feb-2006, 05:11 AM

I`m trying hard to remember where Neddy Springs was Karen we used to walk to the bottom of Mill st over the bridge and turn right into the narrow lane between the tanks and the railway line then we could walk as far as the lane which was later Centurian Way, we would turn right again climb over the gate or stile and go through the field to Farrington lodge and back through the park, hope you can jog my memory karen[?][Smile]
04-Feb-2006, 04:44 AM

Hi Sandieh,

You turned left at the lane .. later Centurian Way
..towards Farington Old Hall and Neddy Springs was
in the fields on the right.
I think at that point the lane was Mill Lane ..
the path at the other side of the railway between
Farington Lodge and Farington House was called
Red Wall Path, that came out on to Stanifield Lane.
I think you cut back through the park between south
side of Farington Lodge garden and the (water)mill lodge,
and then the part with the swings and teeter totter.
Probably stopped and played there if your little leggies
weren't too tired[Wink]

Ciao Karen aka The Duchess

T. D.
04-Feb-2006, 11:44 PM

Now I remember Karen I think my two elder sisters took me that way when they went to see their friend Beatie who lived at the cottage, I was probably about 3 years old, I think Beatie was only 18 when she died of TB and the cottage was still there derelict for many years after. Thanks Karen you sure have an amazing memory. Did you ever find Kathleen Waring? I remember her well we were in the Methodist Brownies together. best wishes Sandieh.
05-Feb-2006, 01:39 AM

No Sandieh ..I still haven't found Kathleen ..
but I'm still trying.
Shirley Marsden told me that she met her on
Hough Lane last year and didn't think to get
her phone #.

I'm glad I helped you with the Neddy Springs site
it was lovely there .. the water was crystal clear.
Except for the time we were there with Mary Carroll
and there was a small red rubber ball bobbing in the
little pool.
My Daddy said that it was from BTR had
popped up from a stream conecting the rubber works
and the spring .. I knew he was teasing but Mary
believed him and thought for quite some time that
all little red rubber balls came from Neddy Springs[Big Grin]

I wish I had the same memory that I had 3 years ago ..
I have to dig really deep for many of them now[Sad]

Ciao Karen.

T. D.
12-May-2007, 12:50 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Barry Smalley

I was at Leyland Motors during my apprenticeship from 1969 through 1973. I remember the strike in 73, it was during the strike that I decided that New Zealand was the place for me. I worked at Spurrier Works, Farrington, South Works and North Works. I was working in the nozzle shop when I finished, my mother had been at Leyland Motors during the war. She was at work the day the bomb dropped through the workshops at Farrington. I remember the casing outside of the workshop when I left.

I joined the Police in New Zealand in 1977 and am still there to this day as an Inspector. I had fond memories of Leyland.

My dad was also there same time as you and he trained the apprentices,Maurice Leigh was my dad maybe you knew him,he was at LM for almost 30 years untill he was made redundent when Daf took over just before all hell broke out and many lost their jobs..

[julie]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-Jun-2009, 09:02 PM

I am trying to find people who worked at British Leyland Spurrier works between 1973 to 1993
who have knowledge of No. 8 shop or the area that contained the hand milling machine.

Please e-mail me privately and I will supply background info to my query.

Fran R
27-Jun-2010, 06:00 AM

Hi Barry,
I made the same decision as you, and came to NZ in 1963 - now live in Howick. I served my apprenticeship at Leyland 1954 - 59, went to sea for 3 years, then was at CAV Ltd in London for 2 years. I am sure that you will have found that, in recent years at least, the name of Leyland has been ruined by their adventures into car manufacturing. I still think that, in their time, they made the best commercial vehicles in the world. How on earth can it have gone so wrong? Was it merely political interference, or stupid empire-building by Lord What's-his-name? Perhaps a combination of both?
I left my home in Kent to go up to Leyland, lived in digs in Lostock Hall, and had a very hard-up but great time there with good friends.
Cheers, Mike Lowe
27-Jun-2010, 06:05 AM

Hi Perry / julie.
I was in the apprentice training centre in 1954, and remember one of the trainers called Maurice in the apprentices' foundry. Would that have been your Dad? If so, he was a very quiet chap who did not get involved too much with the carryings-on of the apprentices. While we were in there, we learned a lot of practical stuff about aluminium casting, but were always skylarking around! Great to be young!
Cheers, Mike Lowe