Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apprenticed at Leyland Motors
27-Sep-2010, 07:42 AM

Hi I am Ray Rowe Iworked at Leyland Motors in 1952 to 1957 anyone remeber me I am an Australian.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
27-Sep-2010, 07:45 AM

Hi I am Ray Rowe Iworked at Leyland Motors in 1952 to 1957 anyone remember me I am an Australian.
22-Nov-2010, 10:28 PM

Hi Barry,

I remember you well, we started at the same time and were in the same classes at Motors Tech. Some of the other guys I can remember were Richard Tallantyre,Terry Prendergast and David Nelson. I'm now in my 41st year with Leyland working at one of the remaining bits of the "Old Empire" called mi-Technology.
I'm trying to write down my experiences at Leyland to pass on to my son so he'll know waht it was like to have a proper job!
22-Feb-2011, 08:21 PM

my father Maurice Leigh was working in Leyland Motors from the 1960,s untill in the 1990,s he did a bit of everything and was a teacher for the apprenticeships and ended up doing safety work, maybe you have memories of him?
Julie

[julie]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-Feb-2011, 04:07 AM

Lots of my relatives were at LML, but I decided to go into the airplane business and went as a student engineering apprentice to EE-Warton, later BAC, now BAE.

My uncle George was a test driver in the 50's and was one of the first to take a bus down to the Motor Industries Research Association test facility near Nuneaton. I think it was the prototype Tiger Cub single decker. He went down for a 4-week stint, but all the seats broke off at the floor attachment on the second day and he had to bring it back.

Another uncle, Ron Baker, worked in the spares department at Chorley for many years. I also had a distant cousin, Rodney ??, who was at RCAT Salford the same time I was (1961-1964). We were in the same digs in Trafford Park for a while - he was on the September intake for the Dipl. Tech course and I was on the January intake. Can't for the life of me remember his last name, but his family home was on Yewlands Drive.

I'd be interested in anyone who knows what happened to him.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
23-Feb-2011, 12:17 PM

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

Lots of my relatives were at LML, but I decided to go into the airplane business and went as a student engineering apprentice to EE-Warton, later BAC, now BAE.

My uncle George was a test driver in the 50's and was one of the first to take a bus down to the Motor Industries Research Association test facility near Nuneaton. I think it was the prototype Tiger Cub single decker. He went down for a 4-week stint, but all the seats broke off at the floor attachment on the second day and he had to bring it back.

Another uncle, Ron Baker, worked in the spares department at Chorley for many years. I also had a distant cousin, Rodney ??, who was at RCAT Salford the same time I was (1961-1964). We were in the same digs in Trafford Park for a while - he was on the September intake for the Dipl. Tech course and I was on the January intake. Can't for the life of me remember his last name, but his family home was on Yewlands Drive

Frank

23-Feb-2011, 08:51 PM

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

Another uncle, Ron Baker, worked in the spares department at Chorley for many years. I also had a distant cousin, Rodney ??, who was at RCAT Salford the same time I was (1961-1964). We were in the same digs in Trafford Park for a while - he was on the September intake for the Dipl. Tech course and I was on the January intake. Can't for the life of me remember his last name, but his family home was on Yewlands Drive.

I'd be interested in anyone who knows what happened to him.

Frank

01-Aug-2015, 12:13 PM
RE: Apprenticed at Leyland Motors
(22-Feb-2011 08:21 PM)perry571 Wrote:  my father Maurice Leigh was working in Leyland Motors from the 1960,s untill in the 1990,s he did a bit of everything and was a teacher for the apprenticeships and ended up doing safety work, maybe you have memories of him?
Julie
I remember Maurice being a turning instructor when I was in the pen.I remember his nickname too