Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leyland&Birmingham
I'm sure I started a topic going on this but that rotten Martin deleted it I think. grrrrrrrrrr.
Well I think it's worth a topic anyway as the company has existed in Leyland since 1862 when James Quinn founded it ( hence "Quinn St. )
The chimney has been in existence and dominated the Leyland skyline now for over a century.
On 14th September at 10 am it will be no longer as it is due to be blown up.
I hope the pub opens early. [img]C:WINDOWSDesktopDragon-03.gif[/img]

The significant owl hoots in the night.
Sorry about losing the L&B chimney - in the 1950`s the MOS Factory put a target on the north face for some sort of gun sighting from the Tank Factory, I believe it was 1000 yards, I may be wrong. Cheers from William R.
quote:

Sorry about losing the L&B chimney - in the 1950`s the MOS Factory put a target on the north face for some sort of gun sighting from the Tank Factory, I believe it was 1000 yards, I may be wrong. Cheers from William R.

Not sure what the MOS factory is William. The week commencing 9th September bits of Golden Hill and Wheelton Lane will be closed as the front and side of the buildings are brought down. Better get busy with my camera.

Noel, the MOS (Ministry of Supply) Factory was the works before Leyland Motors called it Spurrier Works. It was built on the site to fulfil an order for Centurian Mk7 tanks. We Were transferred from Leylands to the Mos Factory to operate the factory but were still Leyland employees. After completing the tank order we converted the plant to build an order of light tanks called the HS1200, and later onLeylands bought back the plant and converted it to a factory for producing engines, we transferred all the machinery from Farington Engine Factory to the new site. Much of the heavy machinery required for tanks was sold to other concerns, shipyards etc. Later on there was an experimental section which developed gas turbine engines for commercial vehicles. How do I know all this? I was on the Plant Layout Section and did all that drawings for the works layout. I could go on , but I`ll leave it for now. Cheers, William R.
That's interesting William I wish you would continue. I always knew the factory as the Tank Factory. Remember once visiting as a school child being shown an area where "tanks were built" and that the equipment could not be disposed of. Being only about 8 or 9 at the time I could only wonder.

[Image: owl.gif]

Hello Noel, thanks for your interest in the Tank Factory history. The project was initiated in January 1951 and the then Henry Spurrier was made Leylands Chief Representative with the men from the Ministry. The site was cleared and the work began with all the building erection, and by the back end of 1952 the buildings were taking shape. A new bridge had to be built over the railway line and the start to finish period was about 18 months, and was believed to be a record achievement. I can give you many statistics regarding quantities of material used, as well as who were the sub contractors, but this could become boring for forum readers. Thw official opening was on October 23rd 1953 by Right Hon Duncan Sandys M.P. with many high ranking guests, the most prominent being Gen.A.M.Gunther, I think he was a four star General. The list of guests at the top table is very impressive. The Opening Ceremony was held in one of the buildings which was lavishly converted into a Banqueting Suite, complete with a very long Bar. Part of the building containd nearly all the exhibits from the Bovington Tank Museum, including First world war tanks up to the most recent types. An "exploded exhibit" was made of a Centurian Mk.7 tank which I helped with. On the Opening Day I was drafted for duty as a Guide to assist the Visitors, but that`s another story. I am fortunate in having one of the Souvenir Booklets and List of Visitors for the Open Day which is impressive to say the least. As you can gather, I could go on for ages, but possibly not on the Forum. If you would like me to e-mail more to you, please let me know, you have only had a taster so far. I like your owl. Cheers from William R.
OK I will e-mail you later William though hopefully the rest of the forum are finding this interesting as well. Duncan Sands , that is a name I recall well didn't realise it was so long ago though. Glad you like the owl. Cute isn't it?

Hi Noel, Thanks for your reply - himself was The Right Honorable Duncan Sandys M.P. Minister of Supply, so he must have been important to have caused all the fuss on the 23rd of October 1953. I believe that he was a relative some way of Winston Churchill, by marriage or something. Anyway, less of the frivolity, I do remember the building of the BTR works across the railway from us, it was just after we went there, so both works are about the same age. Its a long time since I was round there, I suppose everything will be different and I`ll be "lost". Can you get through to Croston Road now from Centurian Way? You mention coming through Leylands to get to work at the BTR, I did hear somewhere that a lot of Buildings had been put up between the test track and the Road, enlighten me!! I`M going to send you some more on the MOS Factory by the other system, it may be in a day or so, so bear with me. Cheers from William R aka Bill.
For pics of the downfall of the Leyland & Birmingham chimney see the Leyland Historical Society site on
http://www.houghton59.fsnet.co.uk/news%20A%20views.htm
quote:

Hi Noel, Thanks for your reply - himself was The Right Honorable Duncan Sandys M.P. Minister of Supply, so he must have been important to have caused all the fuss on the 23rd of October 1953. I believe that he was a relative some way of Winston Churchill, by marriage or something. Anyway, less of the frivolity, I do remember the building of the BTR works across the railway from us, it was just after we went there, so both works are about the same age. Its a long time since I was round there, I suppose everything will be different and I`ll be "lost". Can you get through to Croston Road now from Centurian Way? You mention coming through Leylands to get to work at the BTR, I did hear somewhere that a lot of Buildings had been put up between the test track and the Road, enlighten me!! I`M going to send you some more on the MOS Factory by the other system, it may be in a day or so, so bear with me. Cheers from William R aka Bill.

I don't know how long ago you visited Leyland Bill, but yes you can get from Centurion Way through to Croston Rd though signs say it is a private road for authorised people only , everyone ignores it. The access is at the bottom of Centurion Way through the Spurrier Works main entry. The sheds on the right hand side of the main thoroughfare have gone now and are replaced by 3 I think, blocks of small units, 4 to a box. At the far end you pass through the site, past Paccar Trucks ( the 1978 new site of Leyland Bus and Trucks, and access onto Centurion Way via a roundabout which takes you either down Croston Rd or along Flenswick Way which crosses the Moss and bypasses Leyland meeting back up way past Wade Hall on Leyland Rd.
Alternately you can go right round the roundabout onto an adjacent roundabout and either up Croston Rd to Lostock Hall or take the last exit and head for the M6 . Much changed Bill.