Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leyland&Birmingham
Yes but a crowd of gentlemen is usually well behaved Anne. Whereas a crowd of screaming women, well anything could have happened in that room. Many a man went in and was never seen again.
What years did you work there Anne? Jack Burke who I mentioned was lab manager, working for Cyril Cuthbert. Jack retired in 1993 I think, he was employed there nearly 40 years.
Not all Gentlemen were well behaved, i heard a few comment's that i couldn't mention to my mum, but we go into that..... I left in 1975/6 got fed up of starting work at 7-30am, mind you i never did i was alway's late, hence the lift's off Les he couldn't shout at me as he was late as well, i wonder if they have found the remain's of the men who never got out!!!!!!!!
Anne
a wright
Lord Lucan was one Anne. My uncle late for work? Ah well, he's passed some qualities on to me then,<g>
Who????? don't recall him working there..... Yes sorry he was late a lot.... thank goodness for my sake that is, I lived in the Canberra rd area, i think he lived that way didn't he??? That's why i got my lift, thinking about it, he could have called for me in the morning, save me walking/running...I take it you are not always on time then. tut tut..
Anne
a wright
I have just had a thought, did he live up crawford ave????
Anne
a wright
Hi Noel...just been reading old posts re L&B (I worked at BTR for many years) and you mentioned Cyril Cuthbert..don't know if you saw it in LEP, but Cyril died in February this year. Also you must remember Margaret and Jimmy Lee . Margaret died in Feb., and Jimmy in May. Also Kath Brewer (wife of Bill) also died in Feb.
Hi Smithy.
Just noticed that you mentioned Jimmy Lee who worked at B.T.R.I rememder Jimmy and his twin Tommy they used to live in Leigh St in Wigan next door to a friend of mine.I think Tommy is still with us and living in Seven Stars rd,
R.White
Hi Ron,
Jimmy, his wife Margaret, their 2 sons David and Geoff, and daughter Anita, all worked at BTR same time as me. Didn't know Tommy, but its interesting to know who is still around and who isn't.
My sister worked in the ambulence room st Leyland and Birmingham with sister McDonald i think it was. She married Jim Boulton who worked in the long building on self sealing petrol tanks. It went along wheelton lane.
quote:

Originally posted by Smithy

Hi Noel...just been reading old posts re L&B (I worked at BTR for many years) and you mentioned Cyril Cuthbert..don't know if you saw it in LEP, but Cyril died in February this year. Also you must remember Margaret and Jimmy Lee . Margaret died in Feb., and Jimmy in May. Also Kath Brewer (wife of Bill) also died in Feb.

Shame about Cyril, a very intelligent man, I didn't know about him. My wife Margaret sees Jacky ( was Jackemchuck??? now Lee) quite a bit through scouts/cubs so we knew about Jim and Margaret, they had been married for over 60 years. And Kath, lovely lady, I was a close colleague of Bill's at BTR and later Steve his son at Hiflex.