Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland&Birmingham
14-Sep-2002, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the URL Peter. Are you a member of the society? I have quite a few excellent shots as well , my friend also took a video.
[Image: owl.gif]

The significant owl hoots in the night.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
14-Sep-2002, 11:10 PM

Hi Noel, When was I last up Centurian Way? Try 1959 for size - it appears to have changed quite a lot, no wonder I`m living in the past, I think I`d better shut up!!! I came to Leyland about 1996 to visit and found that we were looking for things and people circa 1959 with little success. My wife and I came to the conclusion the we did not relate to leyland at all, sadly we never came back. The only thing I have of Leyland is a slight Lancashire accent which people recognise. I`ve lived in Yorkshire 32 yrs and I`m still a Lanc. Thank you again for your info. Do you think my little anecdotes of times gone by are appropriate for this medium, or should I withdraw and leave it to the "youngsters" of the Forum? I`ve so many little pieces of old Leyland in mind, perhaps thy wwould be better left to history, what do you think? Perhaps I`m getting a bit morose in my old age. Regards , over and out, Bill. ( Sorry, my maths are wrong, I`v been here 42 years)
14-Sep-2002, 11:55 PM

quote:

Do you think my little anecdotes of times gone by are appropriate for this medium, or should I withdraw and leave it to the "youngsters" of the Forum? I`ve so many little pieces of old Leyland in mind, perhaps thy wwould be better left to history, what do you think?

Of course your words and thoughts are appropriate Bill. All contributions are valid here and I'm sure that people reading this forum are learning little bits here and there.

[img]martinsig.gif[/img]
In The Pink

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-Sep-2002, 01:31 AM

quote:

Hi Noel, When was I last up Centurian Way? Try 1959 for size - it appears to have changed quite a lot, no wonder I`m living in the past, I think I`d better shut up!!! I came to Leyland about 1996 to visit and found that we were looking for things and people circa 1959 with little success. My wife and I came to the conclusion the we did not relate to leyland at all, sadly we never came back. The only thing I have of Leyland is a slight Lancashire accent which people recognise. I`ve lived in Yorkshire 32 yrs and I`m still a Lanc. Thank you again for your info. Do you think my little anecdotes of times gone by are appropriate for this medium, or should I withdraw and leave it to the "youngsters" of the Forum? I`ve so many little pieces of old Leyland in mind, perhaps thy wwould be better left to history, what do you think? Perhaps I`m getting a bit morose in my old age. Regards , over and out, Bill. ( Sorry, my maths are wrong, I`v been here 42 years)

Bill , that's what this forum is all about. Bringing people in from far and wide who have lived/still live in Leyland. I have never ever lived in Leyland. My wife has. I tease her like mad over it. We Faringtonians are so much superior. (cough,cough)
I'm going to Santorini in 2 days , returning October 3rd. So I will be a bit quiet from now on. If you, me , Martin Lady G , Caroline, Mossy, LD Martin, that lovely Pink lady the lads in America, John Frank Noel , gosh I hope I haven't missed anybody, forgive me if I have, if we all stop writing because we think others aren't interested, then why the heck are we on a forum?
William, keep the posts coming in, or else!!!
Noel[Image: owl.gif]

The significant owl hoots in the night.
15-Sep-2002, 11:55 AM

Hi Martin and Noel, I have your messages and take note. I just did a reply and its dissappeared into the ether, so here goes again.First, enjoy Santorini. Second, as a Faringtonian - what is "The last Saturday in Farington" we used to wonder about this because it was still there on the Sunday after!! I`ll put some more tales of "Iwas there" direct onto the Forum, in Old Businesses, one coming later today. They are all authentic, I just hope I don`t tread on anyone`s toes and upset them. Regards, O&O, Bill.
15-Sep-2002, 08:33 PM

OK Bill et al best wishes, see you all on 2nd October hopefully.
[Image: owl.gifhr noshade size=]
17-Sep-2002, 09:53 AM

Hi, all I don't respond too often but I do read others replies, don't stop the tales Bill I really enjoy them. I am pleased to say rather young for a lot of these memories but love to hear them.
Vanessa
17-Sep-2002, 08:57 PM

Hi, Vanessa; I`ll do my best to keep you all amused about the "good old days" when I was a litle bit less older (not younger). My daughter says "publish and be damned" people leave us with so few memories of what went on in those days. Just two snippets here, what was that smell in Melias shop on the corner of Bradshaw Street and Towngate? Was it cheese? Another one, did anyone shop at the Maypole in Chapel Brow, and watch the man pat the block of butter into shape on the counter, and put the picture on, was it a sheaf of corn? Remember the marble floor covered in sawdust, and biscuits in tins with glass lids, Regards Bill.
17-Sep-2002, 10:39 PM

Nice to read your comment Vanessa.
I agree with your daughter's "publish and be damned statement",William.
Give Noel lots to read when he comes back from soaking up the sun.I wonder if he's secretly having a peek while he's gone -being seriously addicted he probably can't resist.
Linda aka LG.
27-Sep-2002, 11:20 AM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

I'm sure I started a topic going on this but that rotten Martin deleted it I think. grrrrrrrrrr.

Wasn't me honest!

quote:

The chimney has been in existence and dominated the Leyland skyline now for over a century. On 14th September at 10 am it will be no longer as it is due to be blown up.

How did the demolition go?

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user