Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland&Birmingham
03-Oct-2002, 08:51 AM

Hold on a minute.[Image: owl.gif]
Ahh that's better.
The demolition went well as delomitions can. The whole of the Golden Hill / Wheelton Lane corner is changed for ever.
I have my thoughts on what I'd like to do to these developers.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Oct-2002, 09:40 PM

Noel, I`m just reading your bit about Wheelton Lane. Once visited that bit of the L&B and watched them putting some sort of rubber coating on Spitfire petrol tanks to make them `self-sealing` if they got bullet holes in them. The coating swelled up when petrol got to it and sealed the hole.Cheers, Bill.
07-Oct-2002, 10:35 PM

quote:

Originally posted by William R

Noel, I`m just reading your bit about Wheelton Lane. Once visited that bit of the L&B and watched them putting some sort of rubber coating on Spitfire petrol tanks to make them `self-sealing` if they got bullet holes in them. The coating swelled up when petrol got to it and sealed the hole.Cheers, Bill.

Amazing what we Polymer Chemists can come with isn't it Bill. Normally though we try to compound to reduce swell in solvents / oils where intimate contact occurs. Hadn't heard of this application before. There again how often have I compounded for Spitfire fuel tanks.
08-Oct-2002, 03:02 PM

Hi Noel, I`m searching my memory here, did L&B at one time make the component parts for PLUTO, Pipe Line Under The Ocean which was used after D-Day to transfer fuel across the English Channel? At Leylands we had an Engineering Society which allowed us to visit various firms allied to the motor trade, we went to L&B and to B.T.R.when it was on Golden Hill Lane, to see tyres made. Another question, behind Fishwicks Garage was a Rubber Works, was it Baxters or British Diolene, we knew it as "The Gas Mask Factory", it was always regarded as a secret place of work, rumour was they made frogmen suits there before there were frogmen as well as all types of gas mask. Regards, Bill.
09-Oct-2002, 04:20 PM

What are they going to put in place of the Rubber Works? Excellent photos on the Historical Soc. website, but very sad..... that was a nice bit of Industrial architecture!

http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/
http://www.artistsmock.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-Oct-2002, 05:29 PM

Bill:

Yes, L&B made "PLUTO". George Damp and Sons had a small machine shop at the time and had a contract with L&B to make many of the special hose clamps that were used.

Caroline:

My sister, who lives on the site of the old Leyland Motors North Works, says the old L&B site will be used for houses. She says the racket from the demolition is very noticeable and everything around is covered in brick dust.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
12-Oct-2002, 05:35 PM

Hello Noel, You may know the answer here or may be able to put it to someone who does, I`d just like updating. There used to be a cobbled road from Golden Hill Lane which led to Broadfield I think or to Stannings Bleach Works, and there was an iron gate which had to be closed on Boxing Day (?) to keep it as a private road. Anybody know? Regards, Bill.
13-Oct-2002, 03:34 AM

William,
The road lead to the farmhouse that owned all the land that the council houses were built on. I think they were called 'Foresters', but I'm not sure. Last time I looked, the road still existed, but ended on Bannister Drive, with a green steel gate.
John
13-Oct-2002, 11:38 AM

Nice to hear about the Spitfire tank lining made at L&B. Is it true they pioneered rubber flooring, and that miles of it were laid on RMS Titanic?

Back in the late 50s/early 60s my late mother worked the "housewive's shift" (afternoons) at L&B packing inflatable rubber dinghies for use in ejector seats.

At the time, English Electric (later BAC and now BAe) at Warton were testing the P1 Lightning and one went down over the Irish Sea. They gave up looking for the pilot, Johnny Squires, after about 3 days. But he turned up a week later on the Scottish coast.

He reckoned his life has been saved by one of the dinghies, and visited L&B to thank them.

Colin Damp
Plymouth
13-Oct-2002, 11:45 AM

Hello Bill, Noel. I used to live on Bannister Drive and passed the green gates every day on my way to school . The house was up the cobbled lane to the right , after a copse, and on the left were farm buildings and fields. There was still, in the 50s , a cart horse we would stroke, and several cows.
Around '61, our 'Yoof Club' went Carol-singing, visiting old folk in little cottages with rag-rugs and cast-iron ranges, then ending up at the ' Big House'. (shades of 'Cider with Rosie', or what?!) This was Forester's. There was a dinner party just starting, all the ladies were wearing long evening gowns, men in bow ties etc., they all looked a bit ill-at-ease when we arrived and piped up. I was really impressed by the scene, we were given mince pies and tangerines, and went away with a new knowledge of our place in Society, hahah!

http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/
http://www.artistsmock.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user