Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leyland&Birmingham
Maybe you knew my uncles Les,Fred and Harry Watton Anne. All very different characters. The face pieces are still made about a mile further down the road.
Yes if it's the Les Watton i am thinking about he was forman in face piece, i am sure it was him, a really nice man, i liked him, every one liked him,
Anne
a wright
Yes that's him Anne. Had a good sense of humour. He died a couple of years after he retired and got remarried. Back in 198..something.
yes i remember him getting married, he some times use to give me a lift to work on his moterbike or was it a scooter, i was always on the late for work, yes he had a good sense of humour, he had us all in stitches many a time, all us girl's used to sing carols at christmas (rather badley i think)but he never grumbled enjoyed them i think.
a wright
He had a Lambretta Scooter for years then got Reliant Robin. He once took me as a youth to Huddersfield on the scooter over the pennines to meet my Aunt's relatives, and to watch Huddersfield Town Versus PNE in the coldest stadium I have ever sat in. I was terrified on the back of that bike. Hung on like grim death. I'm glad you got on well with him.
Yes i know what you mean, it was the day's of mini skirts and no crash helmets, no wonder my mum went grey soon, and who couldn't get on with him he was a lovley man, he tended to be a father figure to us girls.
Anne
a wright
Anne, I have no knowledge of the person you are referiing to, but as for crash helmets and mini-skirts, - Long may they live!!!!

Noel, My most terrifing moment was to be driven in a Jensen Intersepter at 115 MPH alomg the Riversway by-pass, we joined Blackpool Road at that speed and I had my eyes tightl;y closed.
Jim
We had many a night where my mum's brothers ( the 3 that lived locally ) would come around with my aunts and play cards over a smoke filled table, usually they got the worse for drink, though Uncle Les I think was just merry. "Nah the Eccleston" was his normal greeting to me. His favourite song which he sang with great gusto was " be sure it's true, when you say, "I love you", it's a sin to tell a lie". I later heard a Spike Jones and the City Slickers version on a 78rpm vinyl record a very funny version, and always thought of Les.
Jim I've done a similar speed in a Mk2 Vauxhall Vavalier going from Freshford to Dilton Marsh, a distance of 12 miles from a standing start in 8 minutes. The difference was it was along narrow country roads, the widest being the Bath-Warminster, A36 I think it is at 120 mph. Needless to say I was not driving. I never asked to travel with the Works Manager again after that.
I can recall him singing something about sin's he always looked at us girl's, and us as the pure driven snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! We used to say us sin.... never, i don't think he belived us, but was to much of a gentleman to argue with us. one of life's true gent's, i have. and will always have happy memories of him and my days in face piece.......
Anne
a wright