The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "" - Line: 1584 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.16 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1584 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 203 usergroup_displaygroup
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.16 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1588 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.16 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.16 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.16 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leyland&Birmingham
William...just read an old posting of yours dated 12 October 2002, asking about cobbled path leading from Golden Hill Lane onto Broadfield Estate, with a green iron gate. Well, earlier this year, the gate was replaced with bollards to prevent vehicles driving through, the copse and lovely private gardens are still there, the large house was added to, and for approx. 25 years is now known as Northbrook Gardens (a complex of 50 flats and bungalows)...ring any bells???
Noel:

It was interesting to see Jaqueline Jaciemcziuk (I think that's how it's spelled) in your post. Aeons ago, I was involved in the Leyland branch of the National Proficiency Scheme for Child Cyclists. It was a Council-supported effort, of which the coordinator was one of Councillor Jimmy Tomlinson's daughters. I was probably about 13 or 14 at the time (so it was maybe 1954 or 55?).

We had a course laid out in the yard of the council road works maintenance area, behind the old Public Hall and we ran about 60 kids through, over a 2-year period, teaching them how to survive on bicycles in the horrible traffic of the time (yeah, right!). Jackie would have been about 8 at the time, and was one of the first Eastern European names I had to struggle with.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
HI there Smithy - so you found my post about the iron gate! That was in my early Forum days.

I recall very well that the gate used to be closed one day per year to preserve the privacy, and stop the road becoming a right of way. Its amazing how this can still be done in these days of "free access".

Thanks for ratttling my cage bars, keep posting.

W.R.
quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

Noel:

It was interesting to see Jaqueline Jaciemcziuk (I think that's how it's spelled) in your post. Aeons ago, I was involved in the Leyland branch of the National Proficiency Scheme for Child Cyclists. It was a Council-supported effort, of which the coordinator was one of Councillor Jimmy Tomlinson's daughters. I was probably about 13 or 14 at the time (so it was maybe 1954 or 55?).

We had a course laid out in the yard of the council road works maintenance area, behind the old Public Hall and we ran about 60 kids through, over a 2-year period, teaching them how to survive on bicycles in the horrible traffic of the time (yeah, right!). Jackie would have been about 8 at the time, and was one of the first Eastern European names I had to struggle with.

Frank

Boy did that post ever bring back childhood memories. I remember taking the Cycling Proficiency class when I was a pupil at St Matthews Boys' School on New Hall Lane circa 1948. Probably the reason it's so well implanted in my mind is because I had a girls' bike that I had swapped for a pair of roller skates, and the bike had a 'back pedal brake'...try to pedal backwards and the brake came on !! The policeman that came to the school to administer the class had never seen a brake like it. Oddly enough, when we emigrated to the USA many years later, those back pedal brakes were quite common on childrens bikes.
It's certainly a name you don't forget in a hurry Frank. Interesting story there. I'll ask my wife if Jacky remembers it.
Met up with a few ex L&B ers in the RAFA club last night, Barry Stevens vaguely remembers you Phil but certainly remembers your mum well and sends his regards.
did Jackie Jaciemcziuk use to live on wade hall est. Years ago my dad had a shop there,
I think I've seen said Jackie on Lancaster lane[may be wrong]
New to this "postiing" game