The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.16 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Leyland Forum
Ex Leylander in Perth Western Australia - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (https://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Leyland Forum (https://forum.leylandtown.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Where are they now? (https://forum.leylandtown.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Ex Leylander in Perth Western Australia (/showthread.php?tid=197)

Pages: 1 2

Ex Leylander in Perth Western Australia - Sandieh - 13-Apr-2003

[8D]I`m an ex Leylander living in Perth Western Australia, my how Leyland has changed ![:0] I remember when the old gas works was there and going with my brother to buy coke with a makeshift barrow.[Big Grin] I attended the small chapel Methodist school on Turpin Green.[Smile] and what about the old Palace cinema ? it was sixpence to go to the matinee on Saturdays. [:I]Sandra

- William R - 13-Apr-2003

Hello Sandie, welcome to the Forum. If you remember the Palace Cinema, do you remember Lou Brown who used to sell parched peas outside? What about the rows of seats which we could make fall over backwards by all leaning back at once. You wil remember the chaos of Saturday morning cinema,with the manager walking up and down trying to keep order. The projectionist used to set the projector in motion and come downstairs to talk to the usherette, and only realised his job when the film ran out and he had to go back up. What about that famous "back row", you had to be "well in" to get a seat there. I wonder where Brenda and Margaret are now, ah well! nuff said. You must miss the smell of Leyland Gas Works, what a memory. I`m sure someone will tell you about the Methodist Chapel on Turpin Green, we have quite a few locals on the Forum. Keep posting, you`ll be glad you did. From over the Pennines, Cheerio, Bill.

- Sandieh - 14-Apr-2003

Thanks Bill, Yes I do remeber getting parch peas from a shop around the corner from the Palace, but mostly I remember that a family, Mother Father and Son ran the place and I was really scared of them the Mother sold tickets and the Son walked around watching everyone, and so did the Father. hehehe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/360/blackpool_prom.shtml

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/index.htm

- anacortesdamp - 14-Apr-2003

Hello, Sandra:

My family (the Damps) has been involved with the Turpin Green Methodist Church for ever. Although I didn't go to the Methodist School, my wife did. Her maiden name was Eileen Nixon and her folks had the greengorcery at 90 Hough Lane.

We emigrated to the USA in 1968, but my sister, Jean, is still in Leyland and still very active in the church.

I guess Eileen must have been two years behind you, as I went to Balshaw's in 1952 and she's 3 years younger than me. Were you and your family active in the Methodist Church, Clubland, etc.?

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA

Note - that's Washington State, USA, (top LH corner on the map) not Western Australia. Anacortes is about 60 miles south of the US/Canada border and about 100 road miles from Vancouver BC.

- Sandieh - 15-Apr-2003

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

Hello, Sandra:

My family (the Damps) has been involved with the Turpin Green Methodist Church for ever. Although I didn't go to the Methodist School, my wife did. Her maiden name was Eileen Nixon and her folks had the greengorcery at 90 Hough Lane.

We emigrated to the USA in 1968, but my sister, Jean, is still in Leyland and still very active in the church.

I guess Eileen must have been two years behind you, as I went to Balshaw's in 1952 and she's 3 years younger than me. Were you and your family active in the Methodist Church, Clubland, etc.?

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA

Note - that's Washington State, USA, (top LH corner on the map) not Western Australia. Anacortes is about 60 miles south of the US/Canada border and about 100 road miles from Vancouver BC.

- Sandieh - 15-Apr-2003

Hi Frank, Yes I remember Jean I think she was in the Brownies and Junior Guild at the same time as me, and I think Eileen was in the same class at Leyland Methodist school, its a small world for sure, Best wishes to you, Sandra.

- Sandieh - 25-Apr-2003

Have found a school photo Frank, and Eileen is on it, I thought she was in the same class, its Miss Parkinsons, I guess we were about 6 years old at the time, I was going to send it to you but I cant do it through the forum email.

- Martin - 25-Apr-2003

quote:

Originally posted by Sandieh

Have found a school photo Frank, and Eileen is on it, I thought she was in the same class, its Miss Parkinsons, I guess we were about 6 years old at the time, I was going to send it to you but I cant do it through the forum email.

You can swap email addresses through the forum email system. All member email addresses are hidden to stop people collecting them for junk mailing lists.

Or you could email the picture to me and I could set up a new page for School Photos [Smile]

- Sandieh - 27-Apr-2003

Thanks Martin, have sent the photo to admin, hope it s gone to the right address.[8D]

- Martin - 27-Apr-2003

Got it Sandie, thank you...