Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gables Pub
mick I would go into the Gbales with my best friend Maria Lobo,we played pool a lot, we knew Frank and Olive Wilson, dated Franck on and off for a while.There was a guy who drove taxi, I think his name was Ron or Bob, then there was a guy who drove for Pickfords removal, one whos family had a butchers shop close to Broadfield arms pub. Granny was a little guy who sometimes visited but cant remember the old guys in the back room who always played dominos.
look again at the foto,think hard!!!
What about Paul Butterworth, cathy parkinson,think hard you must have a few brain cells left!!!
just joking!!!
Julie
[julie]
I went to Wellfield at about the same time as Olive. I saw her just the other day actually - not to speak to though. I seem to remember that she used to go in the Gables with a different "crowd" - so we may not share too many acquaintances! I think I remember Paul, but not Cathy. I never really went into the "darts'n'dominoes" room, and only fairly rarely into the "big" room. I think I played pool in the Gables about twice in total.
Mick
Mick I was wondering would yo know what happen to Paul?
Olive would hang out mainly with her brothers and any new faces, is she married, does she still live int the same street across from the postoffice?
Which little room were you going on about? I mainly hung out in the pool room. Any stories to tell?
Julie
[julie]
No idea at all about Paul. I do know that Olive still lives in the same street. I *think* she's married with one child, but I'm not sure.

Little room - the one on the left as you go in through the front door. I've not been in for years now, I think it's been knocked through. It did have a pool table in for a while, but not when it was being used by the "folkies" at their peak. There wasn't enough room as it had its own little bar and central tables.

Stories? Good grief, woman! This was twe-th<mumble cough> years ago! I have problems remembering what I had for tea yesterday! :-)
I'll scratch out a couple of my remaining hairs and see if I can remember something for you - but no promises...
Mick
I knew Andy and Mick... I saw Mick again in November when I went to my ex's (Frank Orrell) funeral. I went in the Gables around 73-76 but then defected to the Eagle.
Awww... I didn't know about Frank - I'm very out of touch. Very sorry to hear that.
Mick
I just realised who you were when I read 'Captain' and remember you well. In fact, Frank had mentioned your name (while reminiscing) to our daughter last year. There were a lot of old faces you would recognise at his send-off and we all went in the Eagle after. I'd compiled a CD of some of the great tracks he'd been fond of and they played it in the pub. Haven't had news of Andy at all.
So, my fame continues, eh? [:-)] Mr Wildman has a lot to answer for, giving me that nickname... It's followed me round for years!

I'm glad Frank had a good send-off - the CD idea was a very nice tribute. I liked him a lot.

I last saw Andy a while ago - probably 12 months or so - on the car park in leyland. He was looking well (as usual)! We seem to run into each other every so often.
Mick
Hi,
The Gables was my favourite haunt in the 70's. It was the 'in' place for young people. It was packed out every night. I used to sit with people like Phil Martin and Andy Wildman - we had guitars, beer and laughter. Oh, those were the days!!!!
Hi, jackie,
who else did you know from the 70,s? what about Maria Lobo, Paul Butterworth, ???
Hvae been looking for old mates, have you any fotos?
Julie
[julie]