Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bullivant family
Hi
Your father is my cousin - his dad (Charlie) & my dad (Ernie) were brothers. I have a full family history if you would like to get in touch (01423 330017)
The Bullivant who taught at Broadfield is Gordon, who was also a prefect at Balshaws & is still living in Hornby - the milliners was Toms(another brother) wife Elsie
It would be great to make contact
Its so nice when people are able to get together because of information shared on website such as this. Anybody know any Bakers from Leyland.
Avril:

I know three lots of Bakers in Leyland and am related to one.

My dad's youngest sister, Bessie, married Ron Baker, who worked for Leyland Motors most of his life. He was in the Spares Department in Chorley. They lived on Balcarres Road, between Church Road and Crawford Avenue. They had two children. Eileen (married name Wilson) lives on Dunkirk Lane. Their son John worked for BP in the middle east and died in his early twenties. Auntie Bessie died late last year.

Uncle Ron Baker's family lived up Golden Hill, just west of the Fishwick garage, but I don't know much abouot them.

The second Baker family I'm familiar with was the Towngate Chemist shop owner. They also lived on Balcarres Road, about mid-way between Crawford Avenue and Broadway. I think the chemist's name was also Ronald, and I know their son was called John. He was about 4 or 5 years younger than me, which would put him at about 61 or 62 now.

The third one was an older couple that lived in the terraced houses between Sandy Lane and Balcarres Road on Church Road, opposite side to the Eagle & Child. Mrs. Baker was a home help and was assigned to help my Mum after my younger brother was born. I'm not aware of any children. Mr. Baker committed suicide in the late 1950s.

Since Baker was a fairly frequently encountered name, since it was a trade-related name like Smith (notice I didn't say "common"), I'm sure there are dozens more in Leyland that aren't related to these three. Interestingly, I don't know of any families called "Grocer" or "Florist"!

Frank

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Paul:

I seem to remember that Elsie was a significant person in Turpin Green Methodist Church. Was her shop in that block opposite the bottom of King Street, between Damp's shop and the corner where Dunderdale's shop was?

Frank Damp
A Paul Bullivant was one of the sons of the Cricket team captain. Not the same one is it Paul?
I had been wracking my brains to think of the first name of the prefect at Balshaws in the 40's -of course it was 'Gordon' Bullivant.
[Big Grin]
I'll try & answer all the questions
Ernie & Gordon both played cricket for Leyland in the Northern League, but I don't think Ernie was ever captain. However I remember the coach trips for the away matches with Singletons, Iddons & the rest of the gang
Elsie (nicknamed Elsie Hat shop) had a milliners opposite Bolans hardware shop but I don't think she was a great churchgoer.
Just to let you all know Martin & I have contacted each other & are in the process of swapping family tree information
Just to think I didn't know he existed until a few days ago
In't life grand!
Sorry - my wife (who was Doreen Woods (her dad, Frank, was the works manager at Iddons for a number of years)) tells me that Elsies hat shop was not opposite Bolans but opposite Thornleys Butchers & Miss Maidens dress shop!!!
Ernie and Gordon. It's a long time ago Paul. My dad used to drive the coach to the away games in the fifties. I remember your dad, had forgotten his name though, and Gordon used to be opening bowler, slim with dark hair, I remember your name now and you, you used to live in one of the streets near Farington Social Club, Derby Street or somewhere near there?.
Memory's fading good hearing from you though .
As Noel says, memories fade. I definitely remember Elsie having the hat shop. I thought it was in a small block of shops just past our hardware store on Towngate (between Vevey St and King St.) One of them was a shoe shop. If it was across from Thornleys, it was probably the one that's now an estate agent's (though I haven't been back for 10 years or so, so things may have changed a lot!)

Glad to hear you've connected with a "lost" relative. This forum is really great for that.

Frank

Frank