Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
luvved the 60's
Frank,
Where was Nixon's greengrocers? At the bottom of Northgate there was Wadge's, and George Blundell used to come round every week with his horse-drawn fruit and veg cart, so we had those kind of provisions literally on our doorstep. Oh...there was also Wrennalls at bottom of Northgate (remember the Billiard Hall as well??)

Pat.
Speed....you old smoothie, still charming the girls socks off!! I am 4 yrs. older than you, but thanks for that. Was 'Killer' Kelly's name Michael ? And who was 'hot-pot'? You may have read in Forum that Harry Moon is still around.
Smithy Nixons greengrocers was on Hough lane towards the gas works end or the roundabout as it is now approximately across the road from where the car park is now
Thanks for that Shuffy (Nixons)...in that area of Hough Lane, wasn't there also a row of little cottages, seem to remember a classmate at Methodist school lived there - and across the road a little green cabin that sold sweets?
Another query re Nixon's...would it be near Thacker's newsagents and George Burrell's TV shop?
Yes, Pat - It was next door to Thacker's, to the right as you looked from across the street, number 90.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Thanks Frank....I do remember Nixons now! Who needs a Brain Tester game, this Forum is certainly awakenings my brain cells! There was also a rather nice 'ladies' shop near there (sold jumpers and lingerie) and further up do you remember Demains?
Seem to remember a toy shop called Dinky Butchers maybe next door to Nixons greengrocers and was`nt there a cafe on the same row ? the Cookson sisters lived in the cottages across the road, Mary was in my class at school and I think Barbara was in yours Patquote:

Originally posted by Smithy

Thanks for that Shuffy (Nixons)...in that area of Hough Lane, wasn't there also a row of little cottages, seem to remember a classmate at Methodist school lived there - and across the road a little green cabin that sold sweets?

Seem to remember a toy shop called Dinky Butchers maybe next door to Nixons greengrocers and was`nt there a cafe on the same row ? the Cookson sisters lived in the cottages across the road, Mary was in my class at school and I think Barbara was in yours Patquote:

Originally posted by Smithy

Hi Sandie...yes re Dinky Butchers, yes re Barbara Cookson - she's on the school photo which I will air-mail to you next week (sent you an e-mail about it this morning)