Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
luvved the 60's
Hi there Smithy, you mine of information, I always thought that East Street was a blank end!

Shoe shop on Chapel Brow - Magnalls - had a Chorley branch, back in the 1950`s. Our mutual friend worked there for a while under a Mrs. Montague, who insisted on being called "Mrs. Montaig" because of the scandal about Lord Montague at the time.

Its a miserable day this side of the hills today (Sunday), raining and has never come daylight. Cheers, W.R.
Brook Mill, that name brings back memories though I was spending most of my none school time on the golf course in those days so my reollection of it being moved is non existent. I remember Peter Lane though lived in School Street Farington if it's the same one.
Hi William...thanks, you've made me reach my 100th post!! Do I get a brownie star for that?
Yes, East Street used to be a blank...when I was at the Methodist School, I used to come out the back way, cross East Street, down the side of Palace Cinema where there was a little ginnel - used to be a stable down there,into Fleetwood Street, up Chapel Brow and home. So many changes over last few years. I lived up Northgate, at the top of which was Leyland Paints and Leyland Motors, all gone now, new houses built, with a new access road to them off Station Brow.
How well I remember Magnalls shoe shop (used to be Watson and Barons), Fred Hayes newsagents, Buxtons (School uniform outfitters).
Do you remember Brindles bike shop near Leyland Cross.
Miserable day here too William.
Cheers, Pat.
If I remember correctly Noel, the owner of Brook Mill (Cyril Lord?) gave all his employees the option of going out to South Africa to work at his new factory - he also had built a small estate to house them all close by. I have a feeling that he also paid (or heavily subsidised) for them to move.
Len Tugwell was also a photographer. It was at Maurice Brookes shop that I first came across a £5 note, they used to be white. I was 'helping' my mum who worked for them for a while ( they were all friends) and asked in all innocence what should I do with this piece of paper? LOL Hilda was the daughter of Blundels the veg shop.
White Five Pound notes remind me. Way back pre-war, we were going on the annual July holiday nd had chosen the Isle of Bute (1938).

My father came in from work on the Friday complete with his pay packet and holiday pay. If my memory is right, he had just under ten pounds in the packet which included a white five pouind note. We had never seen one before, and he went through the ceremony of signing it on the back with pen and ink, which they used to do then, and our spending money was secure.

If you want a weather up-date for the third Saturday in July 1938, we were all crowded onto Leyland station at 7-00am when the skies opened on one of the worst thunderstorms I remember. We all crowded under the steps at the end of the platform until the train came, a special excursion to Scotland calling at Preston, Lancaster, Carlisle, Glasgow and Gourock, where we transferred to a Clyde paddle steamer to the Rothesay.

Sorry, but I do go on, Cheers. W.R.
If I could take it back a decade to the fifties, some of the most amazing photos I saw were produced by William, amazing because the Centurion Way area was just fields, people working in them probably growing cabbages or some other vegetable. I had never known it as anything but the wide concrete slabbed road it is. The photos were taken circa 1951 when I would have been 5 at the time, so would never have seen it in that state.
However I do remember Lever House Estate when it was just fields and have my own photos of that.
Can you not post some of the photos on Leyland Forum (Noel and Bill)? I am interested in Local History and have quite a few books. But to have more pictures to look at would be great.
Yvonne
I've just noticed I am on my 101 post. Now where was my 100th??
Yvonne
Despite what my profile says, I've been a member of this forum since 2002, but I think I got lost somewhere between blue and green. Although I have selfishly very much enjoyed reading everyone else's contributions, it was not until today that I felt compelled to respond.

I have just read spb's reply of 15th November, and I'm saddened by it and a little bit disappointed. I used to date Eric Jackson. I was very young at the time, but I must say, he was always a gentleman to me. Even my mother loved him, especially in his Army uniform. I think he reminded her of her brother who had been a prisoner of war for many years. We lost touch when he was in the Army, but I would feel privileged to spend another evening with him, anytime.

I'm even considering changing my favourite quote to: "A lady is a woman in whose presence a man is a gentleman."

Lady Margery