Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Query
Hi to everyone, I have just registered. Is there anyone here who went to Balshaw high between 75-80
Sorry, Diane, I was a long time before your day. I was an early 11+ student and started at Balshaw's in 1951. I finally decided the school did not consider careers in the technical job market to be acceptable. They were more interested in producing students who would perpetuate their "classics" view of the world. They wanted people who would go to Oxford or Cambridge and study Latin, Greek and other anitiquities and become grammar school teachers in those subjects.

I wanted to be an engineer and signed up for Pure Maths, Applied Maths and Physics as my 6th form classes, only to be assigned to French, English and Latin (even though I failed O-level Latin). The "powers that be" thought I had talent in languages (which I did) but failed to recognise the engineering interests I had.

I hope it's better these days. I was surprised, on a visit a few years back, that the school is now officially affiliated with the Anglican Church. It may have always been so, but had it been clearly defined back in 1950, I'm sure my staunch Methodist parents would have insisted on me going to Hutton or some other school that wasn't "tainted".

Frank Damp
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Hi Diane I am another that was there before your time, but my eldest daughter was there then Jeanette John. Mind you she never liked it [Big Grin]
Thanks for the replies, I am sorry to say I also didn't enjoy my time there. I don't recall anyone called Jeanette John.
Actually it would be 1977 when she started so she is younger than you so that would explain why you don't remember her. We only seem to remember our own peers and those a bit older than ourselves
I started there in 1992 - Mr Ingram was the headmaster at the time.
Mr Ingram replaced Mr Oldfield (I think that was his name memory playing up LOL)
Dedrah:

When we were there, the head was Mr. Oldland. After he retired (early 1960s?), it was Fred Bleasdale. Didn't keep track after that.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Thanks Frank I stand corrected, possibly Mr Ingram replace Mr Bleasdale I think It was Mr Ingram when Our Jeanette was there.
I think Mr Oldland retired in my last year 1961 ask Eileeen Frank she may remember I'm sure I remember a new head starting.I left in July 1961 I was only actually 15 when I left but turned 16 in the summer holidays so didn't need to go back . I was always the youngest in my year as my birthday is 31st August.