Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Frequency of posts
Turkey in a few weeks, it'll be 30-40C peak and around 26C at night. It's a bit worrying with all these lunatics killing over some mythical creature but at least we're well away from Syria and the beach is well off the beaten track. Still worrying though and possibly the last time over there. But at least we'll get some sun and feel a lot warmer!
Come to western Crete Noel next year, it is the same as Turkey but not dangerous The Chania area were we live is OK and no touts trying to sell you things. We can advise apartments etc, hotels, full board. bed and breakfast to suit your requirements and budget. Temps here now in the 30s, just enjoying the pool with relatives and friends from Leyland.
djh
yes might do Dave. I've visited the north east quite a bit, Gouvez and Sissi been to Spinalonga, Ag Nic etc usual tourist places, Knossos the plains that flood up in the east. I have stayed in the west, but it was slightly inland looking down on the main road, heck of a climb to the apartments and the weather wasn't good that time. It put us off a bit. We visited the military cemetery that year, so many good men lost their lives. Sad. In Turkey we can get sun loungers on the beach for equivalent of £2.50 my son visiting Spain was charged £13. A big difference. £6 a litre for spirits though. So a good sleep guaranteed.
Krasi, wine in Greek, local white, red, very good value 13 euros for 12 litres but spirits the same reasonably expensive the world market controls the price, local Raki 3 euros a litre, it is the fire water of Crete, we make it as an infusion with fruit walnuts etc, very good a cure all for most ills including insomnia , from what you have said you must have had a little bad luck with the weather and your apartments, we could help if required with our local knowledge, the cemetery is a very peaceful place many New Zealand soldiers lost their lives on Crete. Hope your Holiday Noel goes well in Turkey.
djh
We now have to fill in a form if we want to move anywhere to shop etc, etc, stating the purpose, our names and how long we expect to be out, failure to do this will be 150 euro fine if caught, very strict but if it stops the spread of the virus we think we can cope with it here on Crete.
djh
We are confined to our homes with no visitors. WE have learned to Face Talk and whatsapp video with our family members. Our local Slimming World group is trying to link people in from home with a video conference app called Zoom. And I forgot to add after my shopping trip to Morrisons my wife insisted all my cloths were washed. It's that bad.
Same here staying home, the boys are droping things off at the front of the house including Mothers Day gifts. We are using WHATS APP to see the grand chilldren showing off thier home schooling. We will have large phone bills keeping in tuch with everyone else. I have to thank our eldest sons wife for all her work, last week she worked 60 hours as nurse in the local hospital. My garden is in pristine condition which is a first for me, this week has been dry and warm enabling a place of calm to hide from the wife.

frank h.
Well done to your daughter in law Frank we can't thank the NHS and other key workers enough. Hope she gets the essential PPE to minimise risks. The whole cul de sac we live in has been out at 8pm on the last 2 thursdays to show our appreciation of their efforts.
Thanks for that Noel, she was sent home with a cough ten days ago but it isn't the virus and she is going backto work this wednesday night. Wigan hospital has built a temporary ward for virus patients opening this week, but numbers are reasonably low with no deaths since last week. I too live in a cul de sac and everyone has been clapping on Thurdays at 8pm. The family have set up a link on line and we have been having a quiz on Monday nights and we can see every one together before the grand children goto bed,its been good fun.

frank h.
brings us all together doesn't it Frank. We've got to know neighbours who've only passed by in their cars, so many newbies moved in in the last 5 years or so. my wife had her operation at the Wigan hospital, lovely warm friendly staff. Check ups are at the old grammar school, Thomas Linneker near Mesnes park. We had a Face Chat i believe it's called with one of our sons and his family. Margaret is keeping up with her scouts by network meetings, Zoom and Microsoft meetings. They'd have a shock if the realised way back that we had to walk half a mile to the nearest phone box to talk to someone. Or that we had to wait 3 weeks to get a roll of film developed, only to find half were out of focus. Progress. Glad to hear your daughter in law is recovered hoping she has all the correct PPE equipment needed. I think we can forget the football season unless it's continued into the end of the year. I think Wigan would have been safe, they'd just started to put some good performances in. And my lot some abysmal ones. Stay safe one and all.