Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Format
The new format of the forum is such a big improvement to the old one, just a pity no-one seems to want to post.  I post on Facebook occasionally but there is so much drivel and adverts thrown at you, it's a shame the forum isn't used more. In Leyland we are seeing a glut of houses being built with lots of complaints. Bee Lane is threatened with a large estate being built , destroying some quiet countryside, what little we have in the area now. Leyland Lane is being built on, Croston Road land past the Wheatsheaf 800 houses planned.  If you go North of Preston now and haven't been for some time you won't recognise it. D'Urton Lane which once was fairly exclusive is boxed in with traffic, Lightfoot Lane and the B6241 which is given a famous long distance walker's name that I can never remember is just one estate after another. And we are told another million new homes need to be built. At some point it will become unsustainable. The roads are already clogged up at peak hours, it took me 30 minutes by car to travel approximately half a mile along Watery Lane in Preston up to the lights at the junction with Strand Road.  And there is nothing we can do, the council can refuse planning permission, the developers appeal and it's overturned. Despairing, Farington Moss.
I agree with you noel the new format is better, like you I wish more people would use the forum but sadly as you say the social media seems to get more attention, here on Crete I use the local news forum Living in Crete and we get good use on it.
djh
I came back from holiday to find I couldn't use my PC, now it seems to be up and running again although slow. The new format is good as you say it seems alot of people are intrested in looking at the Forum but not joining in. I hope everyone is safe from this CORONA virus and it does not cause too much panic.

frank h
Hi Frank, here on Crete we have lock down bars, Tavernas, etc schools and public buildings  shut, just a few supermarkets staying open, the Greek government have taken this virus very seriously.
djh
Hi Dave, We have just been told as from Weekend all of us 70 years and over must stay at home for 12 weeks. Schools are still open people can still go out to work but advised to work from home if possible, shops are open transport still running and holidays are being canceled. We had hoped to visit Crete in May as a 70th birthday for Bernadette, we have had E Mail from tour opperator to tell us it will becalled off.

frank h.
We've rebooked our September holiday to Side. Fingers crossed it will be under control by then. Don't think we've been told to stay indoors yet Frank I'm under the impression it will be several days before it's announced. We have sold our house and should be moving in 2 or 3 months so not sure if that will be affected. And no football, it seems like the end of the world. Stay safe you guys, hopefully there will be an end to it soon. Casa
Every one seems to have gone mad, long queues and empty shelves in supermarkets. Those working looking for fresh food and struggling to find any. Best places to find food are small corner shops and garages they all carry essentials.

frank h.
I don't understand the panic buying. Supermarkets are still operating as normal and there's the same amount of stuff available so why the need to hoard it?
Martin ~
(22-Mar-2020, 11:22 AM)Martin Wrote: I don't understand the panic buying. Supermarkets are still operating as normal and there's the same amount of stuff available so why the need to hoard it?

Here on Crete, we have no panic just the normal precautions such as restricting the number of people in shops and supermarkets at one time, no panic buying tavernas etc closed and all gathering cancelled, we ourselves are using gloves and masks when shopping but a lot of people are not.
djh
I went to Morrison's last night around 6.30pm and it was very quiet. Door entrance is policed to allow only 1 person in at a time, however there was no queue at that time. Maybe 20 or 30 people in total , at the tills a big perspex shield for the operator and markings on the floor where to stand in the queue for the till. Usual empty shelves, no flour or sugar or pasta, no fresh fish or deli and of course no paper rolls of any kind, no floor cleaner what is wrong with people.