Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Up for Sale
David, no I did not think you were trying to discourage me. I think that if your brother does live up here (didn't know there was a Croydon, will have to look see were it is) he will know exactly what I mean, we have lived in California, Florida, Rhode Island and lastly New Hampshire and I have never met a more unsociable unfriendly people as live here. Must be the cold weather. We have lived here for more than 6years now and have never met most of our neighbours. The only time we met one of them was when he called to complain about our dog getting loose and scaring his wife. I cannot say I am not afraid to make the move but if I dont do it I will forever wonder what it would have been like. We are not taking our money with us to begin with we are going to rent for 6months. My husband will not need a job as he will retire before we leave. I was watching a programme on HGTV were they take a couple around homes to buy them. I had to laugh a couple who had moved in said they had never met so many nice neighbours and friendly people. They were not in New Hampshire they were in Charleston, North Carolina.
When we lived in Garden Grove, California we had to take our eldest son to Stanford University, Hospital. We took the scenic route up the coast. I have to say if I had the money I would live along that coast. There was one place I loved cannot remember the name but it was beautiful.
Avril; That section of the California coast that you mentioned is probably one of the most scenic coastlines that a person can set eyes on. The place you are probably thinking about is Carmel by the Sea..... http://www.carmelcalifornia.com/
or, try the 17 mile drive... http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=1241 for spectacular scenery. That whole rugged area is magnificent.
Having read all the above posts with great interest, I am left wondering why you ,David, continue to hang on to your British passport.
Houseprices have indeed soared in England in the last few years. However there are plenty to rent on the market. I know of a family who have returned here and are doing just that until they settle in a little. Whatever you decide to do, the very best of luck and good wishes to you. Jim
Jim
I have read these posts with some interest, and find they confirm what I was told many years ago. that there are two sides to the Great American Way Of Life. The Haves and the Have nots.

My father, who died in 1952, told me to remember that there are two words which dominate the American Dream - OIL (and their dependence on it) and GREED - (always thinking of Number One.)

Visions we get of American life is of lithe and nubile women frolicking on the ever sunlit beaches. He-man type men in brash cars who seem to have no need to work, always seeking enjoyment at the expense of others

What a shock it was to us to see that there is another side of the Dream, witness the truth as revealed in the aftermath of Katrina. The struggle of the down-trodden masses, too poor to leave their humble homes. The mass exodus of those who HAVE, clogging the motorways in their rush to safety. A sure sign of the divisions of class.

I hope the move to the UK is a good one, and that everything turns out OK. No! I am not jealous of the Dream, I am sad for those who have become so disillusioned, and can do so little about it. They deserve better...........
Just a few observations from one who made the great journey to the other side of the world in the late 1950's and has returned.
It is never easy when you are the ones who leave the nest for whatever reason-job opportunities ,a sense of adventure, better starts in life for your children-reasons are many and varied.
My late husband was working at Vernons when the war started and enlisted immediately .He came back in 1946 to find there was no place for him and soon after we married and he had done another stint in the Air Force he joined the RNZAF and off we went.
Financially it was a drain as all the furniture we had gathered had to be sold as in those days you could only take small items of household goods.
Everything had to be bought again at the other side.
It was unsettling for at least two years and then you get on with things for your family's sake.It was a great place to be.
It was 26 years before I came back for a family crisis but I quickly realised that really everyone had got on with their lives and had not particularly missed me.
However as most people realise eventually, our lives consist of many threads and there come times to change direction
As has been said there can be no worse thing than doing nothing -then a lifetime of regrets.I have been determined to make the most of my third age if you like and live my life for myself not through others.That sounds selfish but really don't your children do this when they set out on their own paths.
Didn't someone say -the last of life for which the first was made-William and I have had a great two years travelling and enjoying life and more to come.We are fortunate.
As far as red tape is concerned -it is easier to come from NZ because of the Reciprocal Rights agreement -no trouble with pensions either way and I could have worked here had I wished.
There were many things about England that I missed for years -like Spring and the way the seasons are distinct from each other -also the history and varied landscapes.
However if I have a criticism it is in the change in people's attitudes and the way the environment is abused.
I often wonder about those elderly folk who move to Spain and want to make it another England-seems strange.
Anyway I wish you well if you move back and remember you have had more than one life to think back on.
As far as where we all end up is concerned -who knows -it's just another thread.
Jim; For the most part I have been using my American passport when travelling. I gave up renewing my Brit passport when it became a 'European red' passport. I did renew it again two years ago when I went on vacation to Cuba. The American government doesn't encourage American's to travel to Cuba so I thought it appropriate to use my British documentation. The Cuban's didn't stamp the passport anyway ! Sometimes the British passport comes in handy when arriving in Britain...much shorter customs's lines ;-)
And William is quite correct too, yes, no matter which country one lives in there are the have's and the have not's. That is not just an American privilege. Britain, more than any other country in the world is recognized as the 'class conscious' capital of the world. A country where your very speech accent can stop you getting a job promotion. When I worked in the Research and Development Department, Hangar 25 at Warton, we toolmakers were not allowed to use the 'staff' toilets...maybe the 'staff' did something different than us 'coolies' when sat on the toilet ?? When I worked at Goss Printing Press Co. one of our football team members was promoted to 'staff', he was told he had to quit the football team...'staff' did not mix with the workers !!! That William is the true essence of the have's and the have not's.
The beauty of the American Dream is that the American doesn't care what your voice sounds like. They don't care where you came from. As long as you are willing to work hard to fulfill your 'dream', in America, it can happen.
As for the thousands of stranded people in N.O., and many were simply stranded because they didn't heed the call to get out in the first place, but most of those 'poor people' simply refuse to help thenselves, (a), by not looking for work, rather, living off the system, as many do in Britain, and (b), by refusing to educate themselves when the opportunity was there for all to take.
We too were 'have not's' when we arrived in America all those years ago, but we were determined to work hard and long to get us on our feet.
'Dreams' do materialize with hard work.
And yes, some of those folks were stranded through no fault of their own and I, along with everyone else feel deeply sorry for their predicament.
Our hopes and prayers, some of our clothes, and a bit of our money is with them, we just wish we could do more.
That's what I love about this Leylandtown page. It's a page of sometimes real discussion, where so many opinions are aired without name calling.....
Unless you're wearing a hat [8D]
Avril,sadly the days of the local shops are long gone here in England thanks to the supermarket giants,but we only have ourselves to blame as we all want to buy the most for the least amount of money!!![:p] there are no longer fishmongers and greengrocers about in Leyland. Bakers and butchers are obviously a harder breed as there are still a few of them about[Big Grin] Do make sure you aren't looking back through rose coloured glasses. Mind you I wouldn't swap living where I do for anything,but then I am very easily pleased[Big Grin] I certainly wouldn't like to live in any other country, so from that point of view I can understand why you want to come back here.
Shuffy, You don`t have to give all of your custom to the supermarkets (of which we have a good selection)in Leyland. One place that is always busy is the farm shop at the Southport end of Dunkirk Lane. We buy all our fresh veg, cheese and cake there. Also the butchers stall in the market hall (in my opinion) sells the best meat in Leyland.
I agree with all you said to Avril, however the supermarkets don`t hold a gun to our heads do they? We can all support our local traders if we want to. The reason for their decline of course is due to the fact that we HAVN`T supported them
Jim
Avril:

If you're planning on buying a house, there are a couple of "gotchas" you need to research.

About eight years ago, some relatives of ours returned to the UK after several years living in Gozo and Cyprus. They got clobbered by something I wasn't aware of. I'll explain what happened to them and we'll see if anyone can enlighten us on the current situation.

According to them, when they went to try and get a mortgage to buy a house, they were told that anyone beyond the age from which they could be statistically expected to survive the term of the mortgage could not qualify. In other words, if you're over 55 and want a 30-year loan you're out of luck. They were well past that limit, and even though they had a large down-payment, they needed a bit more to be able to buy. They were turned down.

Secondly, bear in mind that UK mortgages aren't fixed interest rates, at least not for more than a few years, so you can be sure your payments will keep going up.

Thirdly, take a look at prices of houses. They'll really take your breath away. When we left (1968), a new-build semi-detached 2-bedroom Wimpey bungalow in Bamber Bridge was 2000 pounds. It would be well over 125,000 now. At current exchange rates, houses in Leyland cost more than they do in Anacortes, and for a lot less house.

If you plan to rent privately, there's quite a selection.

I found a web-site where you can check both rentals and sales around the country. It's http://www.rightmove.co.uk/home.rsp

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Lady Griffin... I read your entry and everything you say is how I feel. I love my children very much but they have there own lives and I think its time for me to move on. I have printed this page to keep so I may remember everyone's thoughts. I think if I do nothing I will regret it later this to me is a new start on the next chapter in my life.
I think that in both the UK and the US farmland is taken and built on and then after its done the towns wonder how they can deal with the influx of people on there schools, water and drainage. We lived in a lovely little town called Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Farms and small lanes and dotted with new and old houses. We went back last month to have a look at our old house and in just 6 years the place has changed to the detriment of the area. Houses built on most of the farmland big roads, hugh supermarkets and its no longer the sleepy little town it used to be. They have tried over the years to stop some of the growth but that word "greed" comes into it and builders who don't care. I think until the "people" wake up and stop this almighty rush to make money we will carry on the way we are. There is hope I see in parts of the UK they are bringing back the "hedgerow" which was removed years ago the wildlife and the land suffered. They now realize that the farmers of old knew what they were doing. If farms would help sustain the life in the towns and villages around them there would be less need for all this movement of food from one end of the country to the other.Unfortunately many farms have been taken over by large conglomerate's. I do not buy any fruit or vegetable that had not been grown locally or if not in season here at least in the US. Many foreign countries have very lax spraying rules and you never know what is on your food. I also see another trend when land is no longer allowed to have new houses built on it builders buy old farm houses and barns and then make them into terrace houses. The problem with that is another farm disappear's. Your also right about relatives and friends they have got on with there lives and with luck you are remembered at your birthday and Christmas your more loyal friends write letters and keep in touch. But that's one reason I am not coming back for relatives or friends, it's nice to think they will be close but its more for me and my future.