Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Up for Sale
William I think "greed" has found its way into life in many countries not just the US. New Orleans is a lesson on what not to do. Just throwing money at a problem does not take it away. The poor people of area's of part of New Orleans apparently just waited for that cheque each month and had no insentive to do anything more. The State was run by Democrats at all levels who believe in a vast welfare state. I think that the best thing for the poor is an education to get them out of it and insentives to do so. I read a few days ago were some of the poor are never going back they see it as an opportunity to make something of there lives. Lets hope we can learn from this that would be a nice legacy for all those who died. When you have a country as vast as the US it's only natural that you are going to need oil. People here dont just travel a couple of miles to work many travel for hours. I know were my husband works people travel from Boston everyday. I think your wrong about the "masses" who clogged the roads. Most of those people were hardworking regular people not rich those that were left behind were old and poor but many chose to stay. I think what was wrong was the Mayor not sending all those buses in to force those people to leave. It turns out the State had been given money to mend the levis but the money went to other projects. Lets hope when this inquiry is finished many people will lose there jobs.
When we return home we hope to have enough money to buy a home outright. We are at the age were we dont want a morgage. I find it strange about trying to make Spain another England. I don't know about you but when I went there on holidays I found it nothing like England but I have many friends who have moved either to Spain or France. I should also say that quite a few British holidaymakers were left behind in New Orleans the hotels they were staying at just left them behind. Another piece of information that came out was that I think almost 70% of the women with children in New Orleans are not married. See its find for these people to watch TV and see they actors having children out of wedlock but they can afford for the loose morals those women in N.O. can't. I do not think that any of the TV in both the US or UK have any morals left. They have one night stands with no consequences. I think if they had someone on a show that actually abstained she or he would not last long or would be laughed at.
Muffers
I live in Canada and just got back from 3 weeks vacation in the UK. My wife is from Canada and we both really enjoyed it. We had a great vacation and agreed that the UK is a great place to VISIT!

If you are planning to move back, before you sell up, I'd suggest that you rent a place for two months and see what you think then.

The prices, the yob culture, the "proud-to-be-white-trash" and "drink-till-you-drop mentality" might just change your mind.

It was great to visit my wife's 86 year old aunt in Fulham (trendy and rich area apparently) and hear her tell of being held up by some thugs who broke into her third storey apartment (no elevator, great for an 86 year old!). What was most distressing was not that she was held up, but that SHE TALKED ABOUT IT AS THOUGH THIS WAS NORMAL !

If I was was rich, foreign and famous (Madonna, Gwineth Paltrow etc..) I'd move to the UK in a moment.

For the rest of us, a visit is enough.
Have you thought about New Zealand or Greece?

quote:

Originally posted by muffers

Been busy with the house. Its not up for sale, privately to begin with but we are getting quotes for containers for transporting our house goods back to the UK. I was wondering does anyone know if an american computer will work in the UK. Still not sure were we will end up but we might rent a place near my brother in Penwortham to begin with. Off course this will be next year sometime. But its exciting just to be getting things going.

It's easy to say that this place or that place has been spoiled by new development, but where do the ever-growing population go to live if new buildings aren't built to house them ?

In 1960 the population of the USA was approximately 160 million, by
the year 2011 the estimated population of the USA is 300 million....

If these trends in fertility and immigration persist, the American population will continue to grow in the early twenty-first century, although at a diminishing rate. The U.S. Census Bureau’s "middle series" projection indicates a population of 300 million in 2011...

In 51 years that's an increase in population of 140 million people, they have to live somewhere.

In a nutshell then, every city, town, and village, that was on the map in 1960, would have to double in size to accommodate the population growth of the USA by 2020.

And Britain's population growth is approximately the same percntage.

So either the farmland is taken over, or some other beauty spot has to be developed, one way or another, housing and other businesses have to be built to accomodate the new influx of people.

India's population grows by 343,000 per week, yes week.
David:

re: the population explosions

Many years ago, I read a science-fiction novel, whose title and author escape me, the basic premise of which was that someone in the UK pharmaceutical industry had come up with a compound that could be added to the water supply which would render women sterile, but which could easily be reversed.

The government, faced with tremendous pressures by population growth, agreed to inroduce it, without notification. Unfortunately, the antidote didn't work, and the UK population dropped very quickly.

The original compound was clandestinely released into almost all other countries' water supplies until evey nation in the world had the same problem. Authorites found that a small percentage of women had a natural immunity to the compound and they were forced into breeding programs to produce immune offspring.

The program worked until the first generation of children were born. They were all boys - end of civilisation as we know it!

Maybe we need a compound like that in India and China?

Eventually, nations will be going to war over food and water. I hope to be out of here before then.

I remember discussions at the office after the TV program "The Day After", which potrayed nuclear armageddon and the effects immediately afterwards. The question was "where would you want to be?" The vast majority said "close enough to ground zero not to know anything about it". One guy said "somewhere where I could say "what was that?"" Nevil Shute's novel "On The Beach" should remove any doubts about how it would be. It was remarkably prescient for the mid-1950s, when he wrote it.

We're lucky to live in a predominantly agricultural area. Skagit County produces over half the US output of daffodils, tulips and irises (far mmore than The Netherlands). The area is also a big producer of cucumbers (mainly for pickles), potatoes, peas (mainly for the frozen food packers) and a lot of vegetable seed (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, spinach). We can get spuds at a local "potato shed" at $10 for 100 pounds. If you only need 2 pounds they're 99 cents a pound at the supermarket! We do a lot of sharing with friends and donate quite a lot to the local food banks.

Hopefully, the trend to massive population growth will slow as food and water resources dwindle. There are places on earth where Nature is trying to say "people shouldn't live here", and maybe the US Gulf Coast is one, along with the Sudan and Namibia, but well-meaning charitable organisations keep chipping in with aid packages to perpetuate the problem. Maybe they should support relocation programs instead?

There are a couple of communities in the Skagit River Valley which flood every couple of years. Plans are in the works to build new towns further up hill away from the flood plain.

I have no solutions, like most folk, but I can't help feeling that those that try to help are causing more grief than they're relieving.

There's a local program in our county for the county government to buy the development rights to farmland, so the acreage can't be sold off for industrial or housing development. A local bumper sticker counters the program by saying "There's no farmland without farmers".

Does the UK have these kind of problems?

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Martin:

Maybe this should be a new thread? We've moved quite a distance away from the subject of Avril's original post.

I'm not sure how to re-do my post to make a new topic.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Leyland appear to be on the right track at the moment regarding the re-use of ground for housing development. There are hundreds of houses being built at the moment without touching any green areas. The old Motors, BTR, ROF etc. I drove through Buckshaw Village(should be `town`)on the site of the old ROF factory and was amazed at the sheer size of it all.
Jim
Spitfire I do support local shops,markets and farm shops as and when I get the chance (I don't drive due to epilepsy) as well as my local asda.When we moved here we had 5 grocery shops on one road and a butchers all of whom I patronised on a regular basis, now we only have one general store, which I patronise as well as asda so I do my best.I also get milk delivered from the milkman (at a much higher price than the supermarket) and my papers delivered from my local shop.
I see that my original "tongue in cheek" posting got the response I anticipated, everyone is entitled to their opinion, however.

Looking through the posts, confirms my opinions. The UK is not what it was - if we MUST look back, which I don`t like to do, I look on a successful life as an engineer, blighted by problems with Trade Union activity. Working for Companies whose HQ`s were overseas. For example, working for a paper producer, straight from Leylands, showed the class differences between Scandinavia and UK. Run by their type of upper class families (Dukes and Counts) knowing little of what they were producing, only that those of Swedish descent were the chosen, whilst the workers from northern parts (Laplanders) were the untouchables. They had to stand aside to let the white man pass and remove their hats as a sign of respect whilst at work.

I felt uncomfortable when visiting HQ, at the way we were treated and at the food we were given, knowing the other side of life there the workers were struggling to keep going.

I attained the position of Chief Engineer there, to be told by the Chief Executive that he expected no-one to stay longer than four years, or they had no ambitions. This man discharged highly qualified chemists and senior staff in such a manner that everyone wondered when their turn would come to be thrown out. One Senior Chemist was discharged because he dared to come to work not wearing the Company Tie.

Enough was enough and I left to join a "British" firm run by a family from its starting date. Conditions were ideal until the CEO retired due to age and and Italian CEO took over, moved all the Adminstration to London, cut the workforce from 4000 t0 450 of which 50% were Indian/Pakistani. The Industrial heart of the Company was sent en bloc to Germany because "they worked harder and had no Union interference" We all became redundant in time for Christmas 1982.

I was told I HAD "to accept early retirement" as it made the figures look better. This meant that I was no longer eligible for work and had to live on savings and a meagre pension. Any attempt to find work met with "too old and over-qualified". The inevitable result was to downsize and make the best of it.

I don`t envy anyone their high standard of living, I`ve been there and back, but I well remember an adage from times past which said "Every person we pass on the ladder of success, to get to the top; will be the ones who pull us down when our time comes and we are no longer required" We do well to remember this.

No, the Uk is not the ideal place to be, but its home and its what we make of it which matters. When sanity returns to Governments, when politicians of the right calibre are elected to rule, when GREED disappears from our way of life, we may have a chance, sadly I cannot see this happening.
Considering that the western one third of the United States is supposedly the biggest desert in the world, it is amazing how, with proper irrigation, that same area can become one of the most fertile areas on the planet.
For the sake of our British posters who perhaps aren't familiar with the topography of the western American states, but do have an idea of the approximate locations thereof, draw yourself a line from Denver, Colorado, south through New Mexico, and down the center of Texas to the Mexican border and beyond, and everything west of that line is desert. The Great American Desert...
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives...esert.html
Yet as stated, it has some of the most ferile land when irrigated.
Take a look at the San Joaquin Valley in central California, sometimes referred to as the 'Salad Bowl of America'....
Frank's right, down the line the fighting will not be about oil, it will be about food....

http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/bioregions/...about.html
I think you are right -life takes you where it will-it has many twists and turns -what was right for you once may alter for many reasons .
I call it the pointing finger -
I always relate to the poem by Robert Frost -The Road Not Taken.
Come to a crossroad and decide which way to go-it may not be be the easiest as the temptation is to take the shortest and smoothest way.
Don't look back and wonder where the other way would have led.
End of lesson.
[Big Grin]