Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tracing Old Roots
I left Leyland in 1973 and migrated to New Zealand. My father grew up in Leyland and was born at the Eagle & Child Pub in 1917. I can't recall whether it was his father or grandfather who was the publican there. I attended school at Fox Lane Infants, then Woodlea and finally Worden. It would be good to touch base with some old friends via email.

In particular, Paul Dumont lived on Yewlands Avenue.
Martin Blundell lived by the old rec
Martin Forshaw
Ian Worthington who lived on Sandy Lane

I have managed to catch up with a few old school friends but over time have lost touch.
B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
What years did you attend Fox lane School Barry?
I think I was there from 1959 through until about 1962. It was definitely around that time period. I moved to Leyland in 1959 when my parents moved back to Leyland. I was living at 27 Church Road.
B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
You just missed me I was there 1950 to 1954.
Barry:

A good mate of mine (John Gill) lived with his parents at 23 Church Road when we were at number 7. John was killed in a Fllet Air Arm airplane accident in about 1959/1960.

Was 27 in the block between the War Memorial and Sandy Lane or between Sandy Lane and Balcarres Road? My folks had friends at number 33.

We moved from number 7 to Hargreaves Avenue in 1959 or 1960.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA, USA
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
I remember Mrs Gill and the fact that her son died in that accident. I was only about 7 but somethings stick in your mind. I have just asked my sister who remembers the whole thing better than I did. Funny how small the world can be when you explore your roots. I had an aunt at that time that live at The Bungalow, 8 Balcarres Road. I note your address, just as aside my wife is from Missouri.

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

Barry:

A good mate of mine (John Gill) lived with his parents at 23 Church Road when we were at number 7. John was killed in a Fllet Air Arm airplane accident in about 1959/1960.

Was 27 in the block between the War Memorial and Sandy Lane or between Sandy Lane and Balcarres Road? My folks had friends at number 33.

We moved from number 7 to Hargreaves Avenue in 1959 or 1960.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA, USA

B.H. Smalley
Auckland, New Zealand

Left Leyland in 1973
Was Barry Claire Gills brother?
Dedrah:

John and Claire were brother and sister.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Hello, Barry, and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the conversation!
hi barry i went to worden but left in 1972 did you have a brother at the school at the same time i was there but i cant remember his first name